Monday, February 5, 1990 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Officer In Store Shootout Identified

RENTON - King County police yesterday identified the officer who fired on the would-be robber of a Renton Highlands gun store as Tim Lally, a patrol officer with the Maple Valley precinct and an 18-year veteran of the force.

Police said David Zaback, 33, of Renton, was killed Saturday after he burst into H&J Leather & Firearms Ltd., 4047 N.E. Sunset Blvd., about 4:40 p.m. Lally and a store clerk shot at Zaback after he fired at them with a small-caliber, semiautomatic handgun, police said.

Both Renton and King County police are investigating the shooting - a standard practice when officers are involved.

The King County medical examiner's office planned to do an autopsy on Zaback today to determine how many bullets struck him and who fired the fatal shot.

Zaback's parents said yesterday that a doctor who operated on their son told them Zaback had been shot seven times in the chest and stomach.

``I was wondering why he was shot so many times,'' said his mother, Anna Mae Zaback of Bellevue, who added that to her knowledge her son had never before been involved in crime.

King County police communications supervisor Trish Berg said yesterday that Lally, who was on his way to work, was having coffee with store owner Wendall Woodall when Zaback entered the store. Lally, though not yet on duty, was in uniform and his marked police car was parked outside, Berg said. The shop is within a few blocks of county

police jurisdiction.

Renton police said Zaback announced his intention to rob the store.

``He walked in, told everybody to put their hands on the counter and said if anybody moved, he'd kill them,'' said Renton police

Capt. Don Persson. ``Then he saw the police officer and started shooting at him.''

The man fired more than once at the officer and the clerk, Persson said, and the officer and the clerk returned fired almost simultaneously. Several other customers had guns and pulled them, but did not fire. It's unclear how many shots were fired, in part because some of the suspect's shots struck ammunition on a counter, causing the ammunition to explode.

``There were slugs all over that place,'' Persson said.

The store was filled with customers, but no one else was hurt.

Zaback died Saturday night after undergoing surgery at Harborview Medical Center.

Zaback's father, Duane Zaback, said his son had been unsuccessfully searching for work and that he suffered from schizophrenia. ``Sometimes he wasn't rational at all,'' his father said.

The Zabacks said they did not know where their son got the gun.

Renton police refused to release the name of the store clerk who fired at Zaback.

Woodall, the store owner, said the shooting hadn't given him second thoughts about selling guns. ``The officer being there did his job, and it worked out the best it could have,'' the store owner said.

Copyright (c) 1990 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.


Get home delivery today!