Advertising

Sunday, February 18, 1990 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

People

People In The News

Times News Services

The swami helped

her, says actress

``Cosby'' star Phylicia Rashad is a devotee of the late Swami Muktananda and attributes her serene demeanor to the meditation exercises she does daily.

Rashad says that she ``went to the swami in search of perfection as an actress,'' and notes that her health couldn't help but improve. ``Your breathing gets regulated and it improves your circulation.''

Judge rejects suit

against rock star

A federal judge yesterday dismissed what he called a ``nuisance suit'' against rock star David Bowie.

Wanda Lee Nichols claimed that Bowie sexually assaulted her after inviting her to his hotel room on Oct. 9, 1987, during a concert tour stopover in Dallas. Nichols claimed Bowie told her he had AIDS, and the singer was ordered to be tested for the virus. He tested negative.

Campus is a happy

station for astronaut

Former astronaut Sally Ride is finding satisfaction in the comparative quiet of a university.

Ride, America's first woman in space, joined the faculty at University of California, San Diego, last fall. She teaches physics and directs the California Space Institute, which coordinates space research among the state's eight UC campuses.

Ride, 38, said she thrives on hours spent in her research - the design of free electron lasers - and in meeting with students.

``It's working out very well because it's giving me a way to stay involved with the space program and use some of the expertise and contacts that I developed while I was at NASA.''

Gun-mishap story

needed clearing up

Actor Charlie Sheen wants to clear up the ``sick and twisted'' distortions he's read about how his fiancee, Kelly Preston, was shot in their apartment earlier this year.

``One night we thought we had prowlers; the burglar alarm went off, and I put my .22 in the pocket of my pants. It turned out to be nothing,'' Sheen said recently. ``I forgot about the gun, left my pants in the bathroom, and the next evening, Kelly was moving my clothes when the pistol went off. A bullet hit the toilet, and shrapnel hit Kelly's ankle and wrist.''

Copyright (c) 1990 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising