Advertising

Sunday, February 25, 1990 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Colorado's All Time Top Prep Star? Tom Chambers - By A Spurt

Rocky Mountain News

DENVER - Midway through high school, Tom Chambers gave little indication he was destined to become the greatest basketball player ever to come out of Colorado.

``After his sophomore season, he was a 6-2 guard,'' remembers Tom McCracken, Chambers' coach at Fairview High School in Boulder.

Then something amazing happened.

``He grew seven inches in six months - without losing a drop of his coordination,'' McCracken said from his office at Morningside College in Sioux Falls, S.D.

Chambers had another spurt last Sunday, a career-high 56 points for Phoenix against Golden State. For McCracken, it was a flashback to March 1977. In his final high-school game, Chambers hit 20 of 30 shots on his way to big-school state-tournament records of 50 points and 22 rebounds.

``At that time I never saw a kid that big run the floor like he did,'' McCracken said.

Chambers took his talent to the University of Utah. Later, he was the San Diego Clippers' No. 1 draft pick. Thirteen years later, he still keeps contact with his high-school coach.

``Any time I've asked him for anything - to meet my players or recruit for me - he's always been there,'' McCracken said. ``In fact, Tom helped recruit my best kid this year.''

Guard Chris Kuhlman ranks 10th in NCAA Division II scoring at 24.5 per game.

Copyright (c) 1990 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising