Advertising

Friday, June 22, 1990 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Family Tragedy Still Haunts Powell, Ex-Mariner Pitcher

Times News Services

MOULTRIE, Ga. - Dennis Powell, hoping to improve on his 0-1 record for the Milwaukee Brewers after being recalled to the major leagues, still has to shake off tragic memories of his older brothers when he goes to the mound.

Powell said he has been unable to shake the emotional fallout of his three brothers' deaths in two separate car wrecks within a year on the highway outside Powell's south Georgia home.

``That comes and goes. I'm not going to say that affects me with what I'm doing, but I think about them every day. And, I'm going to continue to think about them every day,'' the left-hander said in a telephone interview from the Brewers' clubhouse with the Moultrie Observer.

``They just come in and out (of my mind). I might be in a game situation and just the thought of them might cross my mind. I don't know when they're going to pop in or pop out, but I just have to step off the rubber and get myself together and then go on and pitch,'' Powell, an ex-Seattle Mariner, said.

``They were very close to me and just to lose them - and so suddenly - it's going to be around awhile,'' he said.

Bennie Powell, 33, and Jimmy Powell, 31, were killed in a Jan. 20 auto accident on U.S. 319, which runs in front of Powell's home. That accident occurred less than a year after another wreck on U.S. 319 claimed another brother, Calvin Powell, 27, and a nephew.

Dennis Powell, 26, now the lone surviving son of Bennie and Lucille Powell of Norman Park, was recalled to the major leagues last week.

METS' MARSHALL SEEKS TRADE

NEW YORK - The New York Mets are aware that Mike Marshall is unhappy with his backup status and intends to demand to be traded after the season. But they do not feel the need to concern themselves with Marshall's ultimatum until the situation arises.

``That becomes his contractual right,'' Joe McIlvaine said. McIlvaine, the Mets' vice president of baseball operations, met with Marshall twice the past couple of weeks and would have preferred that the player be patient rather than go public with his desire to be traded.

Marshall is in the second season of a three-year contract totaling $3.5 million. As a player traded in the midst of a long-term contract he signed with another team (in his case the Los Angeles Dodgers), he has the right to demand a trade during the 15-day period after the World Series. The Mets would have until March 15 to deal him, or he would become a free agent.

GIBSON TO DETROIT?

LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Dodgers, who need a fifth starting pitcher, apparently have talked with the Detroit Tigers about the possibility of Kirk Gibson returning to the Tigers, it was reported today by the Los Angeles Times.

The Dodgers have been unsuccessful in their bid to replace the injured Orel Hershiser and are going with a four-man rotation.

Gibson spent eight seasons with the Tigers before becoming a free agent in a collusion ruling. He signed with the Dodgers Feb. 1, 1988 and helped lead them to the World Series title.

DID COP START FIGHT INVOLVING CARDS?

ST. LOUIS - The attorney for three St. Louis Cardinals baseball players who were charged in a fight last month in Covington, Ky., said yesterday that the man who started the fight has been identified as an off-duty police officer from nearby Dayton, Ky.

``Someone, somewhere covered this thing up,'' said James Kidney, an attorney from Newport, Ky.

One of the ball players, catcher Tom Pagnozzi, said that he had tried to ask an officer at the scene why the assailant was freed. In response, ``he smoked me a few times'' with a club, Pagnozzi said.

Sgt. Gary Linn of the Covington Police Department, said the report that a police officer may have instigated the fight ``is being looked into.''

The three players - Pagnozzi and pitchers Frank DiPino and Greg Mathews - were charged with disorderly conduct after the incident May 19.

Covington Police Chief Joe Rieskamp has said that the players were arrested shortly after 2:30 a.m. when they became belligerent with two police officers who had arrived to break up the scuffle.

Three witnesses have told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the players had come to the aid of a woman from Cincinnati after an unidentified man grabbed her and threw her to the ground.

NOTES

- The Cleveland Indians placed first baseman Keith Hernandez on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Monday, because of a strained left calf muscle.

- The Los Angeles Dodgers moved left-handed reliever Pat Perry from the 15-day disabled list to the 21-day list and third baseman Jeff Hamilton from the 21-day list to the 60-day emergency list.

Copyright (c) 1990 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising