Advertising

Thursday, July 19, 1990 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

M's May Throw `Dirty Looks' At Brewers -- New `Brew-Haha'? Mariners Doubt It

Today: Mariners at Milwaukee, KSTW-TV (channel 11) and KIRO-radio (710 AM), 5:35 p.m. Starting pitchers: M's Randy Johnson (9-4) vs. Bill Krueger (4-5).

Promoters are saying tonight's fight card at the Kingdome is the first major event of its kind for Seattle in 30 years.

Where were they three weeks ago for the Brew-haha? The 20-minute Seattle-Milwaukee melee June 30 during a baseball game had more punches thrown than you'll likely see in all the rounds tonight.

After Seattle's 5-2 victory over Toronto yesterday, behind Matt Young's two-hitter, the Mariners departed for their date with destiny in Milwaukee. The two clubs will meet in a much-anticipated four-game series beginning tonight. Mariner pitcher Randy Johnson, one of nine individuals suspended by the league after the fight, will start against Bill Krueger.

``I'm not concerned with that (fight aftermath). I'm just trying to win the game,'' Johnson said.

Johnson, along with reliever Gene Harris and shortstop Jeff Schaefer, have served three-game suspensions. Outfielder Tracy Jones is appealing and continues to play.

``I don't think anything's going to happen,'' said Schaefer, who mixed it up three separate times, including once with Brewer Manager Tom Trebelhorn. ``Let's get this over with and start playing baseball. No one wants to worry about getting hit in the head or when the pitcher is supposed to drill someone.

``There might be some dirty looks, but I think everyone will go about their business, though I don't expect to be going out to dinner with Trebelhorn.''

American League President Dr. Bobby Brown is expected to attend the game. His presence ostensibly is to serve as a deterrent.

``It doesn't make any difference who's there,'' second baseman Harold Reynolds said. ``Even if President Bush was there, you're not going to be worried about who's sitting in the stands when some guy's throwing at your head.''

Reynolds said ``tempers may flare'' but he doesn't expect fireworks. ``It's a big weekend for both teams. Both teams are in the race, so they both have something to play for.''

The fight and subsequent suspensions ultimately may work in Seattle's favor in this series. Only Jones' case is pending while the Brewers have three players who are appealing: third baseman Gary Sheffield, catcher B.J. Surhoff and outfielder Mike Felder. After hearing and likely denying the appeals, Brown said he may place all four on immediate suspension.

Jones has a bruised heel and needs the rest, anyway. Designated-hitter Alvin Davis has returned to the lineup and to form, which allows Manager Jim Lefebvre to move Jeffrey Leonard to Jones' spot in left field. However, all three of those Brewers are starters and Trebelhorn, who already has served his five-game suspension for his part in the brawl, would be limited to a 22-player roster for three games and would have only three players on his bench.

``I think we're going to concentrate on baseball. I don't think there will be any hard feelings,'' Lefebvre said. ``I have respect for a lot of those guys - Don Baylor, Dave Parker, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Chris Bosio.

``We've never had trouble in the past. Then all of a sudden in the (1989) spring we had a fight and it has carried over. But as far as we are concerned, it's over.''

The Mariners come to Milwaukee after successive victories over Toronto. Pete O'Brien, who had a home run yesterday; Davis, and even Omar Vizquel, who had his first three-hit game in a year, seemed to be settling in a groove.

But Young's effort provides the most encouragement. His two-hit complete game matches his career best. His other two-hitter was June 2, 1983 against New York.

Young contributed to both Blue Jay runs in the fourth inning, one scoring on his throwing error to first base and the other scoring on a sacrifice fly after the runner reached third on his wild pitch.

Pat Borders collected both Blue Jay hits - a fourth-inning double and a sixth-inning single. However, Young nearly didn't make it out of the first inning because of control problems, walking the first two batters, then making his first of two throwing errors.

With one out, Fred McGriff tapped a ball back to Young and hethrew wide of Vizquel, covering second, leaving the bases loaded. But Mark Whiten lined out and Borders struck out to end the threat.

``You're trying to make a great play. Mechanics are the furthest thing from your mind,'' said Young, now 4-10. ``You just have to do it over and over again until you can make the play just by habit.''

Young (4-10) said he ``felt too strong'' in the early innings. ``I had my best fastball of the season but couldn't harness it. It wasn't until the later innings, when I was getting tired, that it had a more natural movement. I didn't think I'd make it for nine innings.''

----------------------------------------------

MARINER LOG

NOTES

REYNOLDS MAKES CONTRIBUTION TO LITTLE LEAGUERS

Mariner second baseman Harold Reynolds yesterday donated 25 tickets to members of an inner-city Little League team that is hoping to visit the Soviet Union.

The Maulin' Mariners have no plans to activate Mike Tyson for the four-game series with the Battlin' Brewers. When asked to comment on the Tyson rumor, shortstop Jeff Schaefer, who was involved in three scrapes in the infamous June 30 melee, said, ``Hey, you're looking at him.''

Omar Vizquel had three hits yesterday, singles in the third, fourth and sixth. It was his second big-league three-hit game. The other was May 13, 1989.

The victory yesterday gave the Mariners their third straight .500-or-better homestand. They left on a seven-game road trip to Milwaukee and Minnesota. They have had a record five straight .500-or-better road trips.

The victory also guarantees the club at least two more days with a .500-or-better record (47-45). The club has been at that level for 20 straight days, all of July. The team record is 56 days, set June 12-Aug. 6, 1982.

Since the club began having businessperson's specials in 1981, the team's record is 20-15 in the weekday afternoon games. . . . 16 of the Mariners' last 20 games have been decided by three runs or less. They are 10-6 in those games. . . . While the Mariners are finished playing teams such as Toronto and Cleveland, their trip to Minnesota Tuesday through Thursday will be the club's first visit this season to the Metrodome.

----------------

NEXT UP: BREWERS

----------------

- RECORDS: Seattle (47-45) in third place in AL West, 11 games out, vs. Milwaukee (39-49), in sixth place in AL East, 9 games out.

- RADIO/TV: All four games will be on KIRO (710 am)/Channel 11 will televise all four. The first three games begin at 5:35 p.m. (PDT). Sunday's game starts at 11:35 a.m. (PDT).

- ROTATION: Tonight, Randy Johnson (9-4, 3.66) vs. Bill Krueger (4-5, 3.67); tomorrow, Bill Swift (4-3, 2.00) vs. Chris Bosio (4-7, 3.78); Saturday, Erik Hanson (10-7, 3.88) vs. Ron Robinson (3-1, 3.02); and Sunday, Brian Holman (8-7, 4.11) vs. Ted Higuera (6-3, 3.16).

- SERIES: Milwaukee leads the all-time series, 82-70. The Brewers hold a 41-31 edge in County Stadium.

- NOTES: Tomorrow is the first start for Swift since he allowed three hits and no runs in eight innings Sunday. . . . in the last series in the Kingdome June 29-July 1, the teams had a 20-minute brawl, resulting in nine suspensions. . . . Four suspensions still are pending, Mariner Tracy Jones, and Brewers Gary Sheffield, Mike Felder and B.J. Surhoff. All appeals may be heard and dealt with before tonight's game. . . . DH Dave Parker has hit in 11 of his last 14 games. . . . SS Kiki Diaz had his 11-game hitting streak ended yesterday. . . . 3B Sheffield has a 6-game hit streak (10 of 25). . . . 1B Greg Brock has 13 hits in last 40 at-bats. . . . OF Darryl Hamilton has 7 hits in last 18 at-bats. . . . 1B Rob Deer had 9 home runs in his last 21 hits, producing 19 RBI.

Copyright (c) 1990 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising