Advertising

Sunday, October 28, 1990 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

New Qb Leads Usc Past Sun Devils -- Foley In Charge As Asu Loses Fifth Straight

AP

TEMPE, Ariz. - Shane Foley, a fifth-year senior who finally is Southern Cal's starting quarterback, wants to keep the job.

Foley, subbing for the suspended Todd Marinovich, threw for 125 yards and ran for 60 to lead the 21st-ranked Trojans to a 13-6 victory over Arizona State in a Pacific 10 Conference game yesterday.

``I thought it was a great performance. It was gutsy,'' USC Coach Larry Smith said. ``He may be a new quarterback, but he's a veteran. Whatever we asked him to do, he went out and did it.''

Foley, who had played sparingly this season, got the start when Marinovich, a sophomore, was suspended Tuesday for cutting classes.

Smith said Marinovich ``will be reinstated on the roster'' next week but ``he'll be the No. 2 quarterback. He and Shane will battle it out. Every week, every position is open on this team for the rest of the year.''

``I was No. 1 today, but I just want to keep everything in perspective,'' said Foley, who completed 12 of 19 passes and had his rushing yardage on 14 carries. ``It was an OK day. I'm not satisfied, really. We moved the ball, but our job is to get into the end zone and we didn't do that enough.

``But I was just trying to do what the coaches asked me to do - run an efficient offense.''

Mazio Royster had a 1-yard touchdown run and Quin Rodriguez kicked two field goals as the Trojans (3-2 in Pac-10, 6-2 overall) rolled up 414 yards. Arizona State (2-5, 0-4) has lost five straight for the first time since 1947 and is off to its worst Pac-10 start ever.

The Sun Devils, beaten 50-0 by the Trojans here in 1988, avoided another shutout when Paul Justin threw a 4-yard touchdown pass to tight end Bob Brasher with 3:56 to play. The Sun Devils were held to 164 yards, including 76 on 24 rushes.

``USC made it very difficult for us to run the football,'' Sun Devil Coach Larry Marmie said. ``To beat them, you have to have balance and we weren't as sharp as we needed to be throwing, either.

``Defensively, they moved the ball on us and controlled it in between the 20s. I think our defense was on the field for 50 snaps in the first half. Our offense was three-and-out. We were our own worst enemy.''

Justin, a senior playing for the first time since separating his left (non-throwing) shoulder a month ago at Missouri, completed 11 of 31 passes for 115 yards, with two interceptions and two sacks.

USC had 296 yards on the ground on 70 rushes and got two interceptions from freshman cornerback Mike Salmon as Smith shuffled his starting lineup after last week's 35-26 loss to Arizona.

``I'm real proud of our team. The score might not seem impressive, but it was impressive to me,'' Smith said. ``We just cranked it up and played old-time Trojan football.''

Despite starting one drive at their own 49 and another at the USC 37, the Sun Devils failed to score in the first half and were outgained 203-55. Their best chance was stopped by Salmon's interception at the Trojan 4 with 3:19 left in the half.

Salmon also intercepted Justin at the Arizona State 30 with 1:05 remaining in the third quarter.

UCLA 263, OSU 17

-- PASADENA, Calif. - Brian Brown surpassed the 100-yard mark for the fourth time in five games, gaining 108 yards on 17 carries as UCLA beat Oregon State.

Brown's 41-yard run highlighted a 70-yard, six-play UCLA drive at the beginning of the second half as the Bruins extended a narrow 16-14 lead to a more comfortable 23-14 advantage.

Brad Daluiso kicked a career-best 48-yard field goal on UCLA's next possession as the Bruins (3-2, 4-4) avenged an 18-17 loss at Oregon State last season.

But the Beavers, who were 23-point underdogs, didn't go down without a fight.

Oregon State (1-3, 1-7) got a 23-yard field goal from Jamie Burke on its next possession to make it 26-17 and, after Daluiso missed a 35-yard field goal, moved into UCLA territory early in the fourth quarter.

However, OSU quarterback Matt Booher was sacked twice in a row, forcing a punt, and neither team posed a serious scoring threat after that.

Brown didn't play in the fourth quarter, being replaced by Kevin Williams, who in his first extended action of the season gained 78 yards on 14 carries. Williams had missed UCLA's past four games because of a back injury.

Oregon State took a 14-9 lead on a 1-yard quarterback sneak by Fred Schweer and a 5-yard run by Reggie Pitchford with 6:32 left before halftime. Maurice Wilson ran 57 yards to the UCLA to set up Schweer's sneak.

Copyright (c) 1990 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising