Advertising

Monday, October 29, 1990 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Seen, Heard, Said

Seen, Heard, Said -- People

PENN-ING IT DOWN: He pouted. He sneered. He got into fights. But Sean Penn did a little soul-searching last year, and now knows why he's such an angry young man. ``It took a whole lot of daydreaming and thinking and working through all kinds of equations, but I've finally figured out what it is that I'm so (ticked) off at,'' the 30-year-old actor-turned-director told Fame magazine. ``The world is not perfect and it is not kind. You're born perfect and you're born kind, and then all the world's ---- comes down on you and it ruins everything. It's that simple.'' Penn and his ``State of Grace'' co-star, Robin Wright, are awaiting the birth of their first child, with a November wedding reportedly planned. Madonna? Don't ask.

LOWER THE BOONE: In a world of improbables, most improbable of all is the possibility of Pat Boone recording an easy-listening version of ``Me So Horny.'' ``I think they're criminals,'' he says of 2 Live Crew. Other Pat put-downs: Judas Priest and Guns 'N Roses: ``They've moved beyond depravity and degradation to inhumanity.'' Madonna: ``A talented tart.''

QUIET ON THE SET: Liv Ullman describes herself as the chief fringe benefit of her newest project, ``Sofie,'' a film that serves as her directorial debut. ``I will not tell the actors how they should play the part but support them and help them with their own interpretation,'' she purrs. ``I will be like their lover.''

WRAP IT UP: Christo is at it again. The artist, whose previous creative outbursts led him to wrap 11 Florida islands in Pepto-Bismol pink fabric and hang a giant curtain across Colorado's Rifle Gap, is saving up for a rainy day. His latest project, planned for next October, is to plant 20-foot-tall umbrellas along a 18-mile-long, 2 1/2-mile-wide path in Southern California's Tejon Pass. At the same time, 12 miles of umbrellas will go up in Ibaraki, Japan. The cost? $26 million. Hope Sen. Jesse Helms doesn't get wind of this.

THE ANSWER IS: Game-show host Alex Trebek offers a unique pitch for literacy: ``If you don't read, you're never going to be a `Jeopardy!' contestant.''

SERVING IT UP: A waitress at New York's TriBeCa Grill reports Geraldo misbehavior to Egg magazine: As she recited lunch specials to Geraldo Rivera, Cheech Marin and their wives, the waitress says she was interrupted by Geraldo, who commented, ``You know, you're very beautiful.'' Mrs. Geraldo gave him a glance that exceeded the heat intensity of an Exocet missile.

Seen, Heard, Said appears Sundays through Fridays in the Scene section of The Times.

Copyright (c) 1990 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising