Advertising

Monday, February 4, 1991 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Seen, Heard, Said

Seen, Heard, Said -- People

WEIGHTY TOPIC: That cheeky Geraldo Rivera, doing a twist on Oprah Winfrey's real-life weight wars, blimped up for a diet episode of his talk show. The lean Rivera put on 100 pounds the no-calorie, TV way, with the aid of cosmetics, foam, putty and weights. ``It took more than two hours for the transformation,'' he says. ``I refused to look in the mirror until it was finished. Then I was horrified. I recognized myself, but I wasn't at all sexy or dashing. I was like the Pillsbury doughboy. Cuddly. Soft. Safe. Silly. All the things I don't want to be.'' The episode, ``When the Fat Comes Back,'' airs today.

AH, WESTERNIZATION: Speaking of Geraldo: In a move that may be coldly calculated to sow doubts about the value of freedom among the Baltic republics, the Soviet Union will air a Russian-dubbed ``Geraldo'' on a daily basis beginning March 1. Nyet!

SACKED: Actress Cathy Lee Crosby has hit old boyfriend Joe Theismann with a $4.5 million suit accusing him of not living up to his promise to support her. In papers filed in Los Angeles, Crosby seeks a piece of the former Washington Redskin's 9.2-acre ranch in St. Croix and his condo in South Bend, Ind., hard by his alma mater, Notre Dame.

STRUNG ALONG: Eddie Van Halen has introduced the Edward Van Halen Guitar, which you'll be able to buy for just $1,599 in three months at a music store near you. ``I endorsed the guitar I used to play,'' said the rocker. ``I designed this one. Big difference.'' It may have other uses. His wife, Valerie Bertinelli, once said that Van Halen sometimes sleeps with his guitar in lieu of her.

WITH FEELING: What was actor Jim Nabors' reaction to getting a star - the 1,929th doled out - on the Hollywood Walk of Fame? ``Go-ol-ly!'' he said, using the catch phrase of the hayseed Gomer Pyle he played on television for so many years. Nabors, who portrayed Pyle on ``The Andy Griffith Show'' and ``Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.,'' critiqued the crowd's rendering of ``Go-ol-ly,'' saying they needed to give it more twang.

NEIGH-SAYER: Gary Cole, on playing Gen. George Armstrong Custer in an ABC-TV movie, quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle: ``Somebody asked me the most difficult thing about playing Custer, and I tried to think of some philosophical or cosmic answer. But the most difficult thing is riding a horse to a mark and making him stay there.''

HIS THEORY OF EVOLUTION: Actor Robin Williams, telling Rolling Stone magazine about his cinematic progression: ``Oh, it's been a sequence. With `Good Morning, Vietnam,' people said, `Ah, at last he's found a way to be funny and still be a little restrained.' With `Dead Poets Society,' they went, `Oh, this is interesting - he's even more restrained.' And with `Awakenings,' it'll be `Look! He's medicated! He's gone even further. What's he playing next? He's playing a door. And after that? A black hole.' ''

NAKED TRUTHS: Jamie Lee Curtis says she has become suspicious of the director's stock refrain that clothing is the bane of great art. ``Almost every script I read has a nude scene,'' she tells US magazine. ``In `Blue Steel' there was a scene written where I was to make love and get out of bed naked, I go into another room and I'm naked, I go back and I'm naked, Ron Silver rapes me naked and I have the gunfight naked. I said NO WAY!''

Seen, Heard, Said appears Mondays through Fridays in the Scene section of The Times.

Copyright (c) 1991 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising