Advertising

Tuesday, May 28, 1991 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Tom Cassidy, Anchorman Who Told TV Viewers Of His Fight Against Aids

AP

NEW YORK - Tom Cassidy, the Cable News Network business anchorman who went on television to tell millions of Americans of his battle against AIDS, has died of complications of the disease. He was 41.

Mr. Cassidy, who died Sunday in New York City, joined CNN's business department as an anchorman and reporter in 1981. The following year he founded the network's Pinnacle program, a weekend show that profiled business leaders.

Diagnosed with AIDS in 1987, he went public with his disease last March in a report for CNN.

"It was unbelievable the pressure that was lifted off my shoulders when suddenly everybody knew," Mr. Cassidy said. "There's something about AIDS that's quite powerful - it's awfully final.

"I do remember the surprise in my heart and my mind at the unchallenged support I got. People loved me and I didn't know it. I just said I didn't trust them, and that was my skepticism as a reporter, I think."

"Tom was one of the country's best business journalists and his courage and dignity were inspirational to all of us fortunate enough to have known him," Lou Dobbs, vice president and managing editor of CNN Business News, said in a statement.

Mr. Cassidy began his broadcasting career in 1978 as a reporter and anchorman for KEZI-TV in Eugene, Ore. He later moved to KGO-TV in San Francisco.

The Boston native was a graduate of Bowdoin College and earned master's degrees in both finance and journalism from Columbia

University.

Copyright (c) 1991 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising