Advertising

Friday, July 12, 1991 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Erik Lacitis

Care For Some Sleaze? Operators Are Standing By

I have this dilemma. In front of me is a book that I'm guessing will disgust 99 percent of the female population, and maybe a lot of guys, too, unless they've had a couple of beers and no women are overhearing them.

However, I do know one thing: You would read the column.

So that's the problem for today, which I would like you to decide. Just call me at 464-2237 and register your opinion. This way I can spread the blame around.

Do you want a column about this book or not?

Its title is, "HOW TO GET THE WOMEN YOU DESIRE INTO BED . . . A down and dirty guide to dating and seduction for the man who's fed up with being Mr. Nice Guy."

Are you beginning to understand my dilemma?

For example, here are titles of a couple of typical chapters:

"BIRDDOGGING: How to get a girl when she's with another guy (or you're with another girl)."

"HOW TO USE HYPNOSIS TO GET YOUR DATE INTO THE SACK."

Remember, that phone number is 464-2237.

I know REAL print journalists consider themselves above such mundane motives as getting ratings.

We much prefer 300-inch-long stories that only our spouses read all the way through, because they know we'll be grilling them about those important issues we wrote about.

Yet . . . sometimes it is nice to have a little bigger reading audience than your immediate family.

Ross Jeffries, the author of this book, has been on Phil Donahue, Geraldo, Sally Jesse Raphael, and over 100 radio talk shows.

At KIRO-TV, which airs Donahue, they remember that particular show. The calls came in - not complaints, just curiosity about this guy's secret for scoring.

But Jeffries has been shunned by the print media.

"I don't know why," he told me, sounding genuinely perplexed.

I tried to explain.

"Your book falls in the category of dwarf tossing," I said.

"What? Dwarf tossing?" he said.

"Yeah, dwarf tossing. Like Phil Donahue. He's talked about how when he does an important issues show, the ratings plummet. He does one on dwarf tossing, the ratings skyrocket," I said.

"Like in the transcript of the show you appeared. At one point, Phil says about you, `I don't want to do these shows. They make me do these shows.' He was only half-joking. Nobody forced Phil to put you on. He just knew it was good ratings."

Jeffries, 32, is in marketing in Los Angeles. He knew exactly what I was getting at.

"Sally Jesse Raphael held my show for the sweeps period," he said.

Sweeps would be the weeks when ratings are taken that determine advertising rates, and whether a TV station will continue airing a show.

Why was the print media shunning him? "Ross, we take ourselves very seriously," I explained.

He said, "I'm worth writing about."

I said, "Let's let the readers decide, fair enough?"

Not to mention that this way I can still sort of write about this disgusting book, but do this balancing act where I'm not endorsing it, but still writing something prurient, but blame it on TV's influence on society.

I asked Jeffries why readers should want to know more about his crass book, which he says has sold thousands of copies, although he declines to give exact figures as "the IRS might read this."

He said, "In a street fight, you gouge eyes, you use whatever weapons you can improvise. I think dating is a street fight."

As you can see, Jeffries does not mince words, one reason why women on that Phil Donahue show called him a "pig" and "repulsive."

He went on, "For women, getting ---- is a choice. For men, getting ---- is a chore. I tell guys what manipulative liars women can be."

I asked Jeffries what men would learn from an interview with him.

"What works in the real world, not some Hollywood fantasy about being a nice guy who's all attentive."

I asked Jeffries what women would learn.

"That there is what women say they want, what women think they want, and what women actually respond to."

So there it is.

The number is 464-2237. And, please, try to be honest.

As Jeffries might put it, there's what readers say they want, and there's what they really read.

Erik Lacitis' column appears Sunday, Tuesday and Friday in the Scene section of The Times.

Copyright (c) 1991 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising