Advertising

Wednesday, August 7, 1991 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Sculpture Will Make Church A Standout

KIRKLAND - Come next month, if you're having trouble finding the Cedar Park Assembly of God Church off Interstate 405 near Kirkland, don't blame Gene Amondson.

Amondson, a Woodinville resident, is building a 30-foot-tall sculpture of a shepherd carrying a sheep that will be erected outside the church next month.

The sculpture is being built in Kent, where Western Insulfoam is loaning out warehouse space for Amondson to sculpt the figure.

Employees at the company are keeping track of Amondson's progress, but the attention the piece is getting now is nothing like it'll get when it's erected at the church next month, Amondson predicts.

And that's its purpose.

The church, at 16300 112th Ave. N.E., is just west of I-405, near the 160th Street exit north of Kirkland - only a stone's throw from one of the busiest commuting areas in King County.

Amondson, who does not attend the church, first approached pastor Joe Fuiten about six months ago with the idea for a tall sculpture.

"I said, `Hey, you've got a brand-new building, close to the highway, and no one knows where it is,' " Amondson said. "Later, he called me and said `We've got to turn this thingamajig into a church, and you're the guy that's going to do it.' "

The one-ton sculpture is being constructed out of expanded polystyrene as a cost-cutting measure, but it could be cast into aluminum or bronze later, Amondson said.

"Things are tight right now with churches," he explained.

Amondson's past creations include a small statue of Gov. Booth Gardner.

Copyright (c) 1991 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising