Advertising

Wednesday, January 15, 1992 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Kip Motta Goes; Wortman Stays

Kip Motta, Seattle SuperSonic assistant coach, was fired today along with K.C. Jones.

The other assistant, Gary Wortman, will remain with the team, said Bill Boehlke, assistant public relations director for the team. Bob Kloppenburg, who was an on-the-bench assistant last season and a scout this season, ran the Sonic practice today.

Sonic President Bob Whitsitt would not comment on the firing. But in a news release through the Sonics, he said:

"This is the most difficult decision I have ever made. K.C. is a class person in the truest sense of the word. But at this time, it has become clear that we need to go in a different direction on the court."

One of the names being mentioned as possible successors to Jones was Mike Fratello, former Atlanta Hawk coach and now a broadcaster for NBC. Hubie Brown, also a broadcaster and former coach, said he had no interest in coaching again.

In a statement made through an NBC spokesman, Fratello said, "I'm happy with what I'm doing and looking forward to the season with NBC, even though I have to guide Marv Albert though another NBA season."

Fratello said he had not been contacted by the Sonics.

Times staff reporter John Peoples contributed to this report.

Copyright (c) 1992 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising