Roy Wolfe, Retired Newspaper Artist And Author Of Two Christian Books

Roy Wolfe continued to broaden his artistic endeavors, taking up woodcarving shortly before his death, adding to a long list of talents that included painting, photography, writing and cartooning.

His myrtle products still are sold in stores throughout the Northwest and in Canada and Hawaii, said his wife, Dorothy Wolfe.

Mr. Wolfe, a retired Seattle Times staff artist, died Jan. 20 in Depoe Bay, Ore. He was 77.

A native of The Dalles, Ore., Mr. Wolfe began his career there as a photographer in Bolton's Studio. He moved to Portland to work as a cartoonist, joining The Oregonian newspaper staff in 1944, first in advertising, then in editorial art.

In 1955, Mr. Wolfe became promotions director and editor of publications for World Vision, a missionary service organization. He traveled worldwide for his job, taking pictures and writing stories, said his wife.

After about a decade with World Vision, Mr. Wolfe founded Tell Services in Tigard, Ore., to aid several Christian organizations in humanitarian relief.

In 1965, Mr. Wolfe was hired as a staff artist by The Times. John Gulbransen, then art-department director, remembers much of Mr. Wolfe's work at first was retouching photographs before they went to engraving to be prepared for publication.

"There wasn't all the drawing they have now or computers," Gulbransen said. "But Roy was a very talented artist."

Later, Mr. Wolfe created the connect-a-dot and nature quiz on the weekly Junior Times page, and contributed cartoons for news and magazine pages.

Jacques Rupp, retired staff artist, said Mr. Wolfe especially enjoyed drawing cartoons depicting the Huskies battling that week's opponent for the stadium extra edition sold outside University of Washington football games.

"Roy had an awfully good time doing those," said Rupp. "You had a whole page to play with and it was a field day for the artist. They were fun things to do and he loved doing them."

Mr. Wolfe, interviewed in The Times in 1976, talked about his drawing career: "I guess I got started when I was young. There were a lot of kids around when I practiced drawing and I used to entertain them with pictures."

At the same time he was working at The Times, Mr. Wolfe managed the print shop and did promotions and advertising for King's Garden, a Christian school in North Seattle. His two jobs meant he left home about 4:30 a.m. and returned about 9 p.m, his wife said.

Mr. Wolfe also authored two Christian books, "Cartoons for Youth" and "Funny for Something," had photographic exhibits and was listed in "Who's Who in Photography."

Mr. Wolfe retired from The Times in July 1979 and left his King's Garden job soon after that.

The Wolfes moved to Depoe Bay and built a house about two years ago, said Dorothy Wolfe.

During his retirement, Mr. Wolfe painted some of his favorite Northwest subjects in oil, including the Celilo Indians fishing at Celilo Falls. He also continued photography and his other art pursuits.

Besides his wife, Mr. Wolfe is survived by daughters Rebecca Harpel of Mukilteo and Peggy Marchment of Columbia, Mo.; sons Gregory of Snohomish and Roy Jr. of Depoe Bay; his 99-year-old mother, Mabel Wolfe of The Dalles; sister Corolla Sheffer of Port Townsend; five grandchildren; and one great grandson.

The family suggests remembrances to World Vision, King's Garden or a charity of the donor's choice. No service was held.