Advertising

Wednesday, October 14, 1992 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Mortician `Returns' Corpse In Fee Dispute

AP

RICHMOND, Texas - Police weighed charges against a mortician for dumping a man's body on his son's doorstep in a dispute over the cost of cremation.

The body of 66-year-old George Bojarski, covered only with a sheet, was found outside his son's apartment.

"I called the police, and they said, `How do you know it's your father?' " said 37-year-old Larry Bojarski. "And I told them, `I see his face. I know what he looks like!' What am I supposed to do with the body? He's my father."

The elder Bojarski died Friday of cancer. His body was picked up Saturday by Evans Mortuary.

The man's son said he paid $299 of the $683 he was told it would cost to cremate his father. When he went to pay the balance, he said, he was told it would cost $2,000 and if he didn't pay, the body would be returned.

"Who says I dumped him there? I left him there," mortician Newell Evans said. When told other funeral homes considered it unethical, he replied, "They can run their establishments as they see fit, and I will run mine my way."

Hernandez Funeral Home agreed to handle the arrangements free of charge.

"My father's been in the business for 50 years, and he's never heard of a case like this," Joe Hernandez said. "The son was kind of like in shock. Here your dad is laying there on the floor after being dead for three days."

Copyright (c) 1992 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising