Monday, November 1, 1993 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Three Husky Athletes Jailed -- Latest Arrests End Husky Careers For Shelley, Perkins

Two University of Washington athletes arrested in Eugene, Ore., Jason Shelley and Prentiss Perkins, "will no longer be a part of the Washington athletics program," Athletic Director Barbara Hedges said today.

Another UW athlete, football player Doug Barnes, was suspended from the football program indefinitely.

Shelley, Perkins and Barnes were arrested in the Oregon city yesterday on suspicion of burglary and attempted rape.

They are accused of entering a University of Oregon dormitory room uninvited and exposing themselves to a woman there, according to a police report.

For Shelley, a sophomore and highly regarded wide receiver, it was the third arrest in the past 10 months. He and Perkins, a basketball player, were arrested about a month ago near the UW campus on suspicion of obstructing a police officer, a misdemeanor. Shelley, 19, from Vallejo, Calif., also faces felony charges of second-degree assault, stemming from an incident last spring in which he allegedly punched an opponent during a pickup basketball game.

Hedges said in a prepared statement that Shelley and Perkins "will be given their immediate release to talk to other schools" and that "this matter will be reviewed at the conclusion of the civil case."

At the time of his suspension, Shelley was the Huskies' leading receiver. He was the only true freshman to earn a varsity letter in 1992. Perkins, 21, a senior guard from Minneapolis, started all 27 games last season and averaged 10.4 points per game. Barnes, 20, a redshirt sophomore from Carson, Calif., is listed as a third-string defensive end.

Shelley, Perkins and Barnes spent last night in a Lane County (Ore.) jail and were expected to be arraigned today in a Eugene court. Bail was set at $50,000 each.

A press release issued by the Eugene Department of Public Safety said the three men were arrested yesterday afternoon after a nine-minute pursuit involving 10 officers, two sergeants and "several citizens."

The press release gave the following account:

Three men entered a University of Oregon dormitory room in the "University Inn" through an open door. The room's residents, two 18-year-old women, did not know them and asked them to leave.

The three men refused. One of the women left, leaving the other alone. One of three men locked the door. Then all three exposed themselves before leaving the room.

One of the women called campus security, which notified the police. An officer was sent to the dormitory. While the officer was interviewing one of the women, the three men returned. Upon seeing the officer, all three fled on foot and eventually were apprehended.

Police said property belonging to the two women was recovered during the arrest. Theft does not necessarily constitute burglary in the state of Oregon. Burglary is defined as unlawful entry with intent to commit a crime.

Shelley's older brother, Stephen, today said, "I'm having a real hard time with it. There's just no way I believe that he did those things.

"My mother talked to Jason on the phone, and he told her `Mom, I really didn't do those things; I don't understand why these lies are being told.' He was crying. It was very emotional. He kind of broke down."

Stephen Shelley, an assistant football coach at Denison University in Granville, Ohio, said he talked to Jason last Friday. Jason told his older brother he was going to Eugene to watch the Oregon-Washington State football game.

"It's not Jason's nature to steal or to make a female do anything she doesn't want to do. Maybe it was guilt by association. Maybe it's the guys he's hanging around with that he keeps falling in trouble. The story sure sounds one-sided now. There's always two sides."

Shelley and Perkins were arrested Oct. 3 after refusing to identify the driver of a car in which they were passengers. The car sped off after being ordered to stop by UW police.

In a hearing a few weeks ago, Shelley was told by a Seattle Municipal Court judge that his obstruction charge would be dropped if he paid a $75 fine and stayed clear of any further criminal charges for 90 days.

Copyright (c) 1993 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.


Get home delivery today!