Passover Recipes -- Chicken With Sun-Dried Tomatoes And Shiitake Mushrooms
Recipes on this page were developed or tested by CeCe Sullivan of The Times food staff and were evaluated by staff members.
CHICKEN WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES AND SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS 8 servings
2 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons diced shallots
8 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves
16 dried tomatoes
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium shallots, peeled and minced
20 medium shiitake mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned and sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup non-dairy creamer
1 teaspoon potato starch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. To prepare the marinade: Combine the mustard, wine, oil and shallots.
2. To prepare the chicken: Pound the chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place in a glass dish and add the marinade, turning the chicken to coat. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or longer if desired.
3. Cover the dried tomatoes with boiling water until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain and cut into slivers with a kitchen scissors.
4. Pour 2-3 tablespoons oil in a heavy skillet and set over medium heat. Add the shallots and mushrooms; saute 5 minutes to soften. Add the tomatoes and saute 1 minute. Add the salt.
5. Remove a generous half of the mixture to a bowl and cool slightly. Divide this mixture between each breast, spooning onto one end and rolling like a jelly roll. Place seam-side down in a baking dish. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Remove the remaining mushroom mixture from the skillet and set aside. Place the skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken broth. Cook down until slightly thickened. Add the creamer and cook again until slightly thickened. Add the dissolved potato starch and cook 1 minute. Add the reserved mushroom-tomato mixture and the mustard. Stir 2 minutes.
7. Remove the chicken from the oven and pour a little of the cooking juices into the sauce. Cut each breast into 6 slices. Place on a serving platter and spoon the sauce over.
Note: Kosher for Passover products (mustard and oil) can be used in this recipe.
Data per serving Calories 318 Protein 29g Fat 15g Carbohydrates 14g Sodium 445mg Saturated fat 3g Monounsaturated fat 4g Polyunsaturated fat 7g Cholesterol 73mg
From "Jewish Cooking in America" by Joan Nathan.
Copyright (c) 1994 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.