Advertising

Thursday, September 22, 1994 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Franklin Star To Play For UW -- 1 Husky Scholarship Left

Franklin High's Jason Terry, considered one of the top two guards in the state, has made an oral commitment to play basketball for the University of Washington.

The commitment comes seven weeks before the national signing period and leaves Coach Bob Bender's team with one available scholarship, which has been promised to the state's other top guard, Lake Washington's Donald Watts.

"I feel that by making the decision now that it takes a lot of pressure off me, and now I can really concentrate on my senior year," the 6-foot-1 Terry said, "and get to enjoy it a little bit, too."

Terry averaged 18 points in the Class AA state tournament last March to lead the Quakers to the state title.

"Jason has one ingredient every coach loves," Franklin Coach Ron Drayton said. "That's quickness. And he's a tremendous defensive player. The offense will come as he gains experience. I think he's ready to play at the college level at the defensive end. And he's a tremendous point guard."

Terry would be Bender's second freshman signee from the state, after Decatur's Roberto Bergersen last season. Another local, Hazen graduate Jason Hamilton, transferred to Washington from San Diego State last season.

The 6-4 Watts, a two-time KingCo Conference scoring champion, said last night he has narrowed his choices to Mississipi State, Georgia and Washington. He said he expects to make a commitment within two weeks.

"That would be great to play with him," Terry said.

Terry, who also was recruited by Arizona, Arizona State, Northwestern and UCLA, said playing for the hometown team was part of his decision.

Copyright (c) 1994 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising