NFL -- Angry Hostetler Defends Shell

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - For the second time in as many weeks, the Los Angeles Raiders are trying to put controversy behind them.

Quarterback Jeff Hostetler denied yesterday that Coach Art Shell directed a racial comment at him during an argument on the sideline, and strongly defended his coach.

"I feel extremely angered that Art had to go through this and that I'm any part of this," Hostetler said. "We're not just talking about the little game of football. This is his whole life, his whole reputation.

"We're talking about a guy's livelihood here, a guy's life. I really feel for him right now. He's the head coach, he takes the majority of the blame. We've had a rough beginning this year and I think he's handled it well."

The coach and quarterback got into a shouting match at Miami on Oct. 16 during the Raiders' 20-17 overtime loss to the Dolphins. The argument concerned decisions by Hostetler to change running plays to passes.

Shell downplayed the incident last week and the matter seemed closed until shortly before the Raiders' 30-17 victory over Atlanta on Sunday. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on the network's pregame show that, during the dispute, Shell derisively compared Hostetler to former Raider quarterback Jay Schroeder.

Allegedly, Shell called Hostetler, "another white quarterback, just like Schroeder." Reportedly, the statement was filled with expletives.

Shell and Minnesota's Dennis Green are the NFL's only black head coaches.

On Monday, Shell denied making the racial remark. Hostetler, who did not comment on the report then, said yesterday that "I can honestly say I never heard a racist remark said by Art."

Punt return illegal?

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Robert Bailey's 103-yard punt return for a Los Angeles Ram touchdown against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday should have been negated by a penalty because players had come off the sidelines onto the field, The Times-Picayune of New Orleans quoted a supervisor of officials as saying.

"Both of the teams were out there illegally," Leo Miles told the newspaper. He watched the game as the league's official observer.

According to league rules, the penalty for such a double foul where there is a change in possession requires that the ball be returned to the point where the infraction occurred - in this case, near the Ram 15-yard line.

Cowboy's accident probed

DALLAS - The Texas Department of Public Safety is pursuing a drunken-driving investigation against Erik Williams, the injured Dallas Cowboy who remained hospitalized yesterday after an automobile accident early Monday that probably ended his season.

"We are proceeding with a DWI investigation," said Mike Cox, department of public safety spokesman.

A report of the accident showed the 6-foot-6, 325-pound tackle was speeding. The report also said Williams was on his car phone at the time of the collision and driver inattention played a role in the accident.

Two other factors the report said may or may not have contributed to the wreck include the distraction in the vehicle and the fact that Williams had been drinking.

The Dallas Morning News, citing an unidentified source close to the team, reported today that Williams' blood-alcohol level was 0.17.

NOTES

-- Coach Ted Marchibroda today said Don Majkowski will start at quarterback for Indianapolis on Sunday against the New York Jets. Majkowski, a former starter in Green Bay, has seen limited action this season as Jim Harbaugh's backup with the Colts.

-- Chicago running back Tim Worley, who missed a team flight over the weekend and is said by the team to be tending to personal matters, was placed on the reserve non-football injury list.

-- John Taylor, San Francisco wide receiver, underwent minor arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

-- Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, forced out of last Thursday's game against Minnesota with a muscle tear in his side, said he expects to play against Chicago on Monday night.

-- Atlanta offensive tackle Mike Kenn, 38, underwent his second magnetic-resonance-imaging exam in two days for a back problem that could cut short his 17th and final season with the Falcons. Compiled from Associated Press, Los Angeles Times and Knight-Ridder Newspapers.