Cyclones Hit Kansas -- Iowa State Pair Inflicts Damage

AMES, Iowa - Iowa State's two-man show was more than Kansas could handle.

Fred Hoiberg and Julius Michalik combined for all of Iowa State's 26 second-half points and Hoiberg finished with 32 as the No. 23 Cyclones rallied to upset third-ranked Kansas 69-65 yesterday.

Good balance? Hardly. Effective? Definitely.

"It's probably not what Coach wants, but if it happens that way and we won the game, you've got to be happy," said Hoiberg, who scored 17 straight Iowa State points during one stretch, including the go-ahead three-pointer with 1:11 to play.

"Anytime you can come out with a victory - regardless of the margin - against Kansas, you've got to be happy," he said.

Iowa State (1-1 Big Eight, 13-2) scored the final 10 points of the game to overcome a 65-59 deficit. The victory came only one week after Iowa State committed 31 turnovers in a 71-57 loss at Colorado. The Cyclones had only seven yesterday.

"We beat a team I think is as good as anybody in the country," Iowa State Coach Tim Floyd said. "Our guys went out and defended that second half. We held them to 24 (points) in the second half. It was a great, great effort on the defensive end of the floor."

Floyd didn't forget Hoiberg's contributions, either.

"Hoiberg had a great, great basketball game," said Floyd, in his first season at Iowa State. "I've never been around a guy like him. He just plays every play. He's into every single thing that we're doing."

Kansas (1-1, 11-2) lost in Ames for the third time in the past four years as a Top Ten team. The Jayhawks had a chance to go up by eight points with three minutes left, but Jerod Haase missed a runner in the lane and the Cyclones stormed back.

"Fred Hoiberg was phenomenal," said Kansas Coach Roy Williams, who waded through the celebrating Cyclones at midcourt to shake Hoiberg's hand afterward. "Since he came into the league, he has been one of the top players in the conference," Williams said. "He is one of the better players I have ever coached against."

Hoiberg made a career-high six three-pointers and matched the 32 points he scored against Drake earlier this season. After Michalik scored with 10:38 left, Hoiberg got all of Iowa State's points until Michalik's final two free throws.

Sean Pearson led Kansas with 14 points.