Advertising

Saturday, May 27, 1995 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Corrected version

Highline, Mount Rainier To Play For Title

PUYALLUP - Call it an explosion, a defensive collapse or even divine intervention. Whatever it was, the Highline Pirates had it on their side last night.

The Pirates scored three goals in the last four minutes to beat the Shorecrest Scots 4-2 in the semifinal round of the Class AA state boys soccer tournament at Sparks Stadium.

The championship game, at 8 tonight, will be an all-Seamount League showdown. The Pirates (17-3) will play the Mount Rainier Rams, who shut out high-scoring forward Chad Barkes and the West Valley (Yakima) Rams 2-0 in the other semifinal.

The shutout was Mount Rainier's 12th this season. The Rams have yielded just seven goals.

Mount Rainier won the Seamount championship and beat Highline in both league games 1-0.

Shorecrest and West Valley will meet for third place at 6 tonight.

Forward Lucian Breban, the Pirates' top scorer, headed in the tying goal against Shorecrest in the 76th minute off Stan Thesenvitz's high pass in front of the goal.

Three minutes later Breban scored the winner off a Thesenvitz pass, giving Breban 15 goals this season.

Sheldon Hizen's goal, also in the 79th minute, sealed the victory for the Pirates, who had lost in the semifinals the previous three years.

"I am so happy," Breban said. "I believed in the win. I knew something was going to happen. I was angry. In the last 10 minutes I said, `I have to do something to win.' I started playing harder. I had to go for the ball."

The Scots (17-2) seemed to have the game won. Brian Kunz's two heading goals in the first 11 minutes of the second half gave them a 2-1 lead and their defense yielded only five shots to that point. Kunz has 19 goals this season.

Then the game changed. Coach Tim Crawley increased the Pirates' number of forwards from two to four and they began to pepper Shorecrest's defense.

"We had to make things happen. Shorecrest was flat the last 20 minutes," Crawley said. "They were defensive minded. They were playing for a 2-1 win."

Shorecrest Coach Teddy Mitalas saw the last 15 minutes differently.

" We had control of the game," Mitalas said. "Our defense broke down. They (the Scots) were panicky.

"They (the Pirates) capitalized on all our errors defensively. It's hard to lose to a team you outplayed at least 80 percent of the game. The kids are stunned. They had the game."

Highline 4, Shorecrest 2 (Goals - Stan Thesenvitz, H, (un), 15:00; Brian Kunz, S, (Jamie Casillas), 41:00; Kunz, S, (Cory Christianson), 51:00; Lucian Breban, H, (Thesenvitz), 76:00; Breban (Thesenvitz), 79:00; Skeldon Hizen, H, (un), 79:00.

Mount Rainier 2, West Valley 0

Mount Rainier (19-1-1) rocked West Valley (20-2) early and quickly. Grant Traphagan struck for an unassisted goal in the 15th minute against goalkeeper Jarod Barbee, who has 14 shutouts this season.

Gabe Orvold scored a minute later, his 17th goal of the season.

Barkes, who has 33 goals this season and 93 in his career, was scoreless for only the second time this year.

"It wasn't our best game," Mount Rainier Coach Bob Andresen said. "With two goals we sat back."

Mount Rainier 2, W. Valley (Yakima) 0 (Goals - (Grant Traphagan (un), 15:00; Gabe Orvold (Jamin Olmstead), 16:00. Shutout, Bob Iwen and Andy Gaunt.)

Published Correction Date: 05/28/95 - The Score Of Friday Night's Second Semifinal Game Was Incorrect In This Story. Mount Rainier Beat West Valley Of Yakima 2-1. Aaron Heinzen Scored For The Rams Late In The Game.

Copyright (c) 1995 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising