Advertising

Monday, October 9, 1995 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Mark Allen Once Again Is Ironman

AP

KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Mark Allen said he wanted one more Hawaii Ironman victory before he reached 40.

He got it Saturday at age 37, but wasn't saying if he would settle for just one more before reaching the four-decade mark.

"I haven't thought beyond this race," he said.

Allen came from behind to win his sixth Ironman Triathlon World Championship here, tying Dave Scott's number of victories. Allen took a year off last year after winning five straight.

His time for the 140.6-mile endurance test was 8 hours, 20 minutes, 34 seconds, well off his 8:07:45 record pace in 1993.

Runner-up Thomas Hellriegel of Germany, in his first Hawaii Ironman race, set a fast pace early in the bicycle ride, covering the 112-mile course in 4:29:37 despite head winds up to 35 mph.

Allen was more than 13 minutes behind Hellriegel at the start of the run and didn't catch him until the 23-mile mark of the marathon.

"I thought I could make up six or seven minutes, but 13 seemed like a lot," Allen said. "But I had trust that something would turn it around and it did."

Paula Newby-Fraser was trying for an eighth women's title in what she said would be her last competitive Hawaii Ironman race. But she collapsed about 300 yards from the finish line and watched three other women pass her before she was able to get back on her feet and walk to the finish.

Karen Smyers of Lincoln, Mass., won her first women's title in 9:16;46, well off Newby-Fraser's 1992 record of 8:55:28.

"It was a tough way to beat her (Newby-Fraser), and I give her all the credit in the world," Smyers said.

A total of 1,487 triathletes started the race; 1,329 finished.

Copyright (c) 1995 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising