Today: Crumbs -- Oreo Cheesecake
Recipes on this page were developed or tested by CeCe Sullivan of The Times food staff and were evaluated by staff members.
25 Oreo chocolate sandwich cookies (about 2 1/2 cups crumbs)
1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 tablespoons flour
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
1 3/4 cups coarsely chopped Oreo chocolate sandwich cookies (about 15 cookies)
2 cups sour cream
1. Butter a 10-inch springform pan and set aside.
2. To prepare crust: Break up cookies and place in food processor fitted with metal blade; process until crumbs form. Add butter and mix until blended. Or, mix cookie crumbs and butter together in bowl. Pour into prepared pan and press evenly over bottom and two-thirds up sides. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
3. To prepare filling: Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Scrape down sides. Add 1 1/4 cups sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Mix in flour. While beating continuously, add eggs and yolks; mix until smooth. Beat in whipping cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla until well blended.
4. Pour half the batter into prepared crust. Sprinkle with chopped Oreos. Pour remaining batter over and smooth top with a spatula. Some of the Oreos may rise to the top.
5. Place pan on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 425-degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 50 minutes or until set.
6. Remove cake from oven and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. Stir together sour cream, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla in small bowl. Spread sour-cream mixture evenly over cake. Return to oven and bake 7 minutes or until sour cream begins to set.
7. Remove from oven and cool in draft-free place to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
Data per serving Calories 525 Protein 10g Fat 37g Carbohydrates 41g Sodium 381mg Saturated fat 21g Monounsaturated fat 12g Polyunsaturated fat 2g Cholesterol 179mg From "The Dessert Lover's Cookbook" by Marlene Sorosky.
Copyright (c) 1996 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.