Babyface Tops Grammy Nominations

NEW YORK - Producer, songwriter and recording artist Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds was nominated for 12 Grammy Awards today, tying a record set 14 years ago by Michael Jackson.

Smashing Pumpkins received seven nominations, including album of the year for "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," while Tracy Chapman and Vince Gill were each nominated for five awards. Canadian pop singer Celine Dion received four, along with Eric Clapton, producer David Foster, newcomer the Tony Rich Project and Pierre Boulez.

Seattle bands Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and the Presidents of the United States of America are all celebrating Grammy nominations today, but the big surprise among Seattle rock bands is that Pearl Jam was not nominated for its "No Code" album.

The only recognition the adventuresome, spiritually oriented release received was for producer Brendan O'Brien, nominated for producer of the year. His work on albums by Rage Against the Machine and Stone Temple Pilots was also cited in the nomination.

The snubbing of "No Code" may have something to do with its disappointing sales. Four months after its release it is still not certified gold, meaning it has sold fewer than 500,000 copies. The band's previous albums, "Ten" and "Vitalogy," sold more than 10 million and 5 million copies respectively.

In addition to Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and the Presidents, Seattle jazz singer Ernestine Anderson was nominated in the jazz vocal category for her powerful live album, "Blues, Dues & Love News," her first release on Qwest Records, the label owned by her old friend from Seattle, Quincy Jones.

Anderson was awakened this morning shortly before 6 a.m. at her Seattle home with a call from the Qwest label's New York office. "My mouth was just stuck open," she said. "It was a shock. A wonderful shock." All morning she took congratulatory calls from friends and family throughout the country.

Soundgarden and Alice in Chains will battle it out in the best hard-rock-performance category. Alice was nominated for the song "Again" from the "Alice in Chains" album. Soundgarden got the nod for "Pretty Noose," a single from its "Down on the Upside" LP.

The fun-loving Presidents were nominated in the pop performance category for the song "Peaches," a wacky ode to the fruit from "The Presidents of the United States of America" album.

The televised Grammy Award ceremony will be held in New York's Madison Square Garden on Feb. 26.

Babyface, as he is known, had a role in two of the nominees for song of the year, a songwriting award. He was nominated for writing "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)," sung by Whitney Houston. He produced Clapton's "Change the World," for which songwriters Gordon Kennedy, Wayne Kirkpatrick and Tommy Sims were nominated.

The nominees include:

Record of The Year: "Give Me One Reason," Tracy Chapman; "Change The World" Eric Clapton; "Because You Loved Me" (Theme From "Up Close & Personal"), Celine Dion; "Ironic," Alanis Morissette; "1979," the Smashing Pumpkins. Album of the Year: "Odelay," Beck; "Falling Into You," Celine Dion; "The Score," Fugees; "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," the Smashing Pumpkins; "Waiting To Exhale" soundtrack. Song of the Year: "Because You Loved Me," Diane Warren; "Blue," Bill Mack; "Change the World," Gordon Kennedy, Wayne Kirkpatrick and Tommy Sims; "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)," Babyface; "Give Me One Reason," Tracy Chapman; Best new artist: Garbage, Jewel, No Doubt, The Tony Rich Project, LeAnn Rimes. Best female pop vocal performance: "Un-break My Heart," Toni Braxton; "Get Out of This House," Shawn Colvin; "Because You Loved Me," Celine Dion; "Reach," Gloria Estefan; "Who Will Save Your Soul," Jewel. Best male pop vocal performance: "Let's Make A Night To Remember," Bryan Adams; "Change the World," Eric Clapton; "Key West Intermezzo (I Saw You First)," John Mellencamp; "Nobody Knows," the Tony Rich Project; "Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot," Sting. Best pop performance by a duo or group with vocal: "Free As A Bird," the Beatles; "As Long As It Matters," Gin Blossoms; "When You Love A Woman," Journey; "Fire On The Mountain ," the Neville Brothers; "Peaches," the Presidents of the United States of America; "When You Wish Upon a Star," Take 6. Best pop album: "Secrets," Toni Braxton; "New Beginning," Tracy Chapman; "A Few Small Repairs," Shawn Colvin; "Falling Into You," Celine Dion; "Mercury Falling," Sting. Best female rock vocal performance: "Mother Mother," Tracy Bonham; "Give Me One Reason," Tracy Chapman; "If It Makes You Happy," Sheryl Crow; "Spider Web," Joan Osborne; "Burning Down The House," Bonnie Raitt; Best male rock vocal performance: "The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You," Bryan Adams; "Where It's At," Beck; "Ain't Gone 'N Give Up On Your Love," Eric Clapton; "Cry Love," John Hiatt; "Dead Man Walkin'," Bruce Springsteen. Best pop collaboration with vocals: "God Give Me Strength," Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello; "Missing You," Brandy, Tamia, Gladys Knight and Chaka Khan; "When I Fall In Love," Natalie Cole (and Nat King Cole); "Count On Me," Whitney Houston and CeCe Winans; "My Way," Frank Sinatra and Luciano Pavarotti; "The Wind Cries Mary," Sting, John McLaughlin, Dominic Miller and Vinnie Colaiuta. Best pop instrumental performance: "The Sinister Minister," Bela Fleck and the Flecktones; "Mission: Impossible," Larry Mullen & Adam Clayton; "Mission Impossible," Lalo Schifrin With The London Philharmonic Orchestra; "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," the Smashing Pumpkins; "Kiss Lonely Goodbye," Stevie Wonder. Best rock performance by a duo or group with vocal: "Stupid Girl," Garbage; "So Much To Say," Dave Matthews Band; "Wonderwall," Oasis; "1979," The Smashing Pumpkins; "6th Avenue Heartache," The Wallflowers. Best hard rock performance: "Again," Alice In Chains; "Bulls On Parade," Rage Against the Machine; "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," the Smashing Pumpkins; "Pretty Noose," Soundgarden; "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart," Stone Temple Pilots. Best metal performance: "Shoots and Ladders," Korn; "Suicide Note Pt. 1," Pantera; "Tire Me," Rage Against the Machine; "I'm Your Boogie Man," White Zombie; "Hands Of Death (Burn Baby Burn)," Rob Zombie & Alice Cooper. Best rock instrumental performance: "Green Onions," Booker T & The MG's; "Pavilion," Eric Johnson; "(You're) My World," Joe Satriani; "Respect The Wind," Edward & Alex Van Halen; "SRV Shuffle," Jimmie Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Cray, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Dr. John & Art Neville. Best rock song: "Cry Love," John Hiatt, songwriter; "Give Me One Reason," Tracy Chapman; "6th Avenue Heartache," Jakob Dylan; "Stupid Girl," Garbage; "Too Much," Dave Matthews Band; "Wonderwall," Noel Gallagher. Best rock album: "Sheryl Crow," Sheryl Crow, artist and producer; "Crash," Dave Matthews Band, Steve Lillywhite, producer; "Road Tested," Bonnie Raitt, Raitt & Don Was, producers; "Broken Arrow," Neil Young With Crazy Horse, Neil Young, producer. Best alternative music performance (albums only): "Boys For Pele," Tori Amos; "Odelay," Beck; "The Burdens Of Being Upright," Tracy Bonham; "New Adventures In Hi-Fi," R.E.M.; "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness," The Smashing Pumpkins. Best female R&B vocal performance: "Not Gon' Cry," Mary J. Blige; "Sittin' Up In My Room," Brandy; "You're Makin' Me High," Toni Braxton; "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)," Whitney Houston; "You Put A Move On My Heart," Tamia. Best male R&B vocal performance: "Lady," D'Angelo; "A Change Is Gonna Come," Al Green; "New World Order," Curtis Mayfield; "Like A Woman," The Tony Rich Project; "Your Secret Love," Luther Vandross. Best R&B performance By a duo or group with vocal: "Slow Jams," Babyface and Tamia With Portrait and Barry White; "Stomp," (various artists); "Don't Let Go (Love)," En Vogue; "Killing Me Softly With His Song," Fugees; "Never Miss the Water," Chaka Khan featuring Me'Shell Ndegeocello. Best R&B song: "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)," Babyface; "Sittin' Up In My Room," Babyface; "You Put A Move On My Heart," Rod Temperton; "Your Secret Love," Luther Vandross and Reed Vertelney; "You're Makin' Me High," Babyface and Bryce Wilson. Best R&B album: "Moving On," Oleta Adams; "Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite," Maxwell Musze, producer; "New World Order," Curtis Mayfield; "Peace Beyond Passion," Me'Shell Ndegeocello; "Words," The Tony Rich Project. Best rap solo performance: "Woo-Hah!! Got You All In Check," Busta Rhymes; "1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin' New)," Coolio; "Rock With You," Heavy D; "Hey Lover," LL Cool J; "If I Ruled The World (Imagine That)," NAS. Best rap performance by a duo or group: "Tha Crossroads," Bone Thugs-N-Harmony; "Champagne," Salt-N-Pepa; "1nce Again," A Tribe Called Quest; "California Love," 2Pac featuring Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman; "How Do U Want It," 2Pac featuring KC and JoJo. Best rap album: "Gangsta's Paradise," Coolio; "The Score," Fugees; "Mr. Smith," LL Cool J; "Beats, Rhymes And Life," A Tribe Called Quest; "All Eyez On Me," 2Pac. Best female country vocal performance: "Let Me Into Your Heart," Mary Chapin Carpenter; "Strawberry Wine," Deana Carter; "Baby Mine," Alison Krauss; "Blue," LeAnn Rimes; "Believe Me Baby (I Lied)," Trisha Yearwood. Best male country vocal performance: "Like The Rain," Clint Black; "My Wife Thinks You're Dead," Junior Brown; "Worlds Apart," Vince Gill; "Private Conversation," Lyle Lovett; "Nothing," Dwight Yoakam. Best country performance by a duo or group with vocal: "Cherokee Boogie," BR5-49; "My Maria," Brooks & Dunn; "That's What I Get For Loving You," Diamond Rio; "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down," the Mavericks; "Little Bit Is Better Than Nada," Texas Tornados. Best country instrumental performance: "Jam Man," Chet Atkins C.G.P.; "Scotland," Vassar Clements, Richard Greene, Chris Thile, Scott Nygaard and Todd Phillips; "Big," Diamond Rio; "Rawhide," Ronnie McCoury, David Grier, Stuart Duncan, Craig Smith and Todd Phillips; "The Brickyard Boogie," Steve Wariner. Best country song: "Believe Me Baby (I Lied)," Angelo, Larry Gottlieb and Kim Richey; "Blue," Bill Mack; "High Lonesome Sound," Vince Gill; "My Wife Thinks You're Dead," Junior Brown; "Strawberry Wine," Matraca Berg and Gary Harrison; Best country album: "Borderline," Brooks & Dunn; "High Lonesome Sound," Vince Gill; "The Trouble With The Truth," Patty Loveless; "The Road To Ensenada," Lyle Lovett; "Everybody Knows," Trisha Yearwood; "Gone," Dwight Yoakam. Best bluegrass album: "The Cold Hard Facts," the Del McCoury Band; "Red on Blonde," Tim O'Brien; "Bluegrass Boy," Peter Rowan; "The Stanley Tradition - Tribute To A Bluegrass Legacy," Various Artists; "True Life Blues: The Songs Of Bill Monroe," various artists. Best New Age album: "Arcanum," Acoustic Alchemy; "Pianissimo II," Suzanne Ciani; "Lore," Clannad; "The Memory Of Trees," Enya; "Opium," Ottmar Liebert + Luna Negra. Best contemporary jazz performance: "Joined At The Hip," Bob James and Kirk Whalum; "Ratamacue," Harvey Mason; "High Life," Wayne Shorter; "Between the Lines," Mike Stern; "If Four Was One," T.J. Kirk. Best jazz vocal performance: "Blues, Dues & Love News," Ernestine Anderson; "Shaking Free," Nnenna Freelon; "The Main Ingredient," Shirley Horn; "All For You," Diana Krall; "New Moon Daughter," Cassandra Wilson. Best jazz instrumental solo: "Cabin Fever," Michael Brecker; "Now Is The Hour," Charlie Haden; "Duke Ellington's Sound Of Love," Joe Lovano; "Agua De Beber," Gonzalo Rubalcaba; "Diggin' On Dexter," Horace Silver. Best large jazz ensemble performance: "Live at Manchester Craftsmen's Guild," Count Basie Orchestra, Grover Mitchell, conductor; "Even Canadians Get The Blues," Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass; "Live In Time," Mingus Big Band; "Portraits In Blue," Marcus Roberts With the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra; "Coming About," Maria Schneider Orchestra. Best rock gospel album: "Bloom," Audio Adrenaline; "Open All Nite," Big Tent Revival; "Jesus Freak," DC Talk; "Take Me To Your Leader," Newsboys; "God," Rebecca St. James. Best pop/contemporary gospel album: "Shelter," Gary Chapman; "Signs Of Life," Steven Curtis Chapman; "The Message," 4 Him; "Life Love & Other Mysteries," Point Of Grace; "Tribute - The Songs Of Andrae Crouch," various artists. Best traditional soul gospel album: "New Dawning," Walter Hawkins and the Hawkins Family; "Face To Face," Cissy Houston; "Shake The Devil Off," Dorothy Norwood; "Together as One - A Tribute to the Heritage of Quartet Music," various artists; "Lets Go Back: Live In Chicago," Albertina Walker. Best contemporary soul gospel album: "Live In Washington," Yolanda Adams; "Love Brought Me Back," Helen Baylor; "Whatcha Lookin' 4," Kirk Franklin & the Family; "Shakin' The House . . . Live In L.A.," Hezekiah Walker, Yolanda Adams and Fred Hammond; "Heart & Soul," the Winans. Best Latin pop performance: "Emociones," Vikki Carr; "Americano," Jose Feliciano; "Enrique Iglesias," Enrique Iglesias; "Nada Es Igual . . . ," Luis Miguel; "En Pleno Vuelo," Marco Antonio Solis. Best tropical Latin performance: "Dicen Que . . . ," Albita; "La Rosa De Los Vientos," Ruben Blades; "El Sonero Del Mundo," Oscar D'Leon; "DLG (Dark Latin Groove)," DLG; "Fresco," Jerry Rivera; "Tony Vega," Tony Vega. Best Mexican-American/Tejano music performance: "Arrancame El Corazon," Ramon Ayala Y Sus Bravos Del Norte; "10th Anniversary," Fandango U.S.A.; "Vicente Fernandez Y Sus Canciones," Vicente Fernandez; "En Vivo . . . Puro Party Live!," Jaime Y Los Chamacos; "Un Millon De Rosas," La Mafia. Best traditional blues album: "Deep In The Blues," James Cotton; "Found True Love," John Hammond; "You're Gonna Miss Me (When I'm Dead & Gone)," the Muddy Waters Tribute Band; "Come On In This House," Junior Wells With Guest Slide Guitarists; "Live At The Mint," Jimmy Witherspoon. Best contemporary blues album: "Sad Street," Bobby Blue Bland; "Long Way Home," Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown; "A Man Amongst Men," Bo Diddley; "Live! The Real Deal," Buddy Guy With G.E. Smith and The Saturday Night Live Band; "Just Like You," Keb' Mo'; "Phantom Blues," Taj Mahal. Best traditional folk album: "The Hobo's Last Ride," Norman and Nancy Blake; "Wild Hog In The Red Brush," John Hartford; "Intoxicated Spirit," Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan; "Thuthukani Ngoxolo - Let's Develop In Peace," Ladysmith Black Mambazo; "Pete," Pete Seeger. Best contemporary folk album: "Yonder," Jerry Douglas and Peter Rowan; "Braver Newer World," Jimmie Dale Gilmore; "The Ghost Of Tom Joad," Bruce Springsteen; "You? Me? Us?," Richard Thompson; "Revival," Gillian Welch. Best reggae album: "Mr. Cool," Gregory Isaacs; "Man With The Fun," Maxi Priest; "Lyrically Potent," Sister Carol; "Greetings From Skamania," the Skatalites; "Hall Of Fame - A Tribute to Bob Marley's 50th Anniversary," Bunny Wailer. Best world music album: "Santiago," the Chieftains; "Tabula Rasa," Bela Fleck, V.M. Bhatt and Jie-Bing Chen; "Tierra Gitana," Gipsy Kings; "Legacy," Ali Akbar Khan; "Night Song," Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Michael Brook; "My People," Joe Zawinul. Best musical show album: "Bring In 'Da Noise, Bring In 'Da Funk," "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum," "Rent,"" Riverdance," `"ictor/Victoria." Producer of the year: Babyface; David Foster; Don Gehman; Brendan O'Brien; Don Was. Best classical album: "Bartok: The Miraculous Mandarin; Music For Strings, Percussion And Celesta," Pierre Boulez, conductor; "Bartok: The Three Piano Concertos," Yefim Bronfman, piano; Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor; "Copland: Dance Symphony; Short Symphony; Organ Symphony, Etc.," Leonard Slatkin, conductor; "Corigliano: Of Rage and Remembrance (Symphony No. 1, Etc.)," Leonard Slatkin, conductor; "Opera Arias (Works Of Mozart, Wagner, Borodin, Etc.)," James Levine, conductor; "Prokofiev: Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2; Son. For Solo Violin," Gil Shaham, violin; Andre Previn, conductor. Best orchestral performance: "Bartok: The Miraculous Mandarin; Music For Strings, Percussion And Celesta," Pierre Boulez, conductor (Chicago Symphony); "Lutoslawski: Symphony No. 2," Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor (Los Angeles Philharmonic); "Messiaen: Et Exspecto Resurrectionem Mortuorum; Chronochromie, Etc.," Pierre Boulez, conductor (Cleveland Orch.); "Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet (Scenes From The Ballet)," Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor (San Francisco Sym.); "Shostakovich: Sym. No. 7 "Leningrad"," Yuri Temirkanov, conductor (St. Petersburg Philharmonic). Beat opera recording: "Britten: Peter Grimes," Opera London; "Dallapiccola: Il Prigioniero," producer (Eric Ericson Cham. Cho.; Swedish Radio Cho.; Swedish Radio Sym. Orch.); Phyllis Bryn-Julson, Howard Haskin and Jorma Hynninen, principal soloists; "Gluck: Orphee Et Eurydice," S.F. Opera; "Kunzen: Holger Danske," The Danish National Radio Sym. Cho.; The Danish National Radio Sym. Orch.; "Weber: Der Freischutz," (Rundfunkchor Berlin; Berliner Phil.). Best instrumental soloist(s) performance (with orchestra): "Adams: Violin Concerto," Gidon Kremer, violin (Kent Nagano, conductor; London Sym. Orch.); "Bartok: The Three Piano Concertos," Yefim Bronfman, piano (Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor; Los Angeles Phil.); "Prokofiev: Con. For Violin And Orch. No. 2," Gil Shaham, violin (Andre Previn, conductor; London Sym. Orch.); "Schoenberg: Piano Concerto," Alfred Brendel, piano (Michael Gielen, conductor; SWF Sym.-Orch. Baden-Baden); "Shostakovich: Cello Cons. Nos. 1 & 2," Truls Mork, cello (Mariss Jansons, conductor; The London Phil.). Best instrumental soloist performance (without orchestra): "Prokofiev: Piano Sons. Nos. 2, 3, 5 & 9," Yefim Bronfman, piano; "The Romantic Master (Works Of Saint-Saens; Handel, Etc.)," Earl Wild, piano; "Schumann: Fantasy/Liszt: Transcendental Etudes," Evgeny Kissin, piano; "Schumann: Kinderszenen; Kreisleriana, Etc.," Radu Lupu, piano; "Wuorinen: Third Piano Sonata; Bagatelle, Etc./Feldman: Palais De Mari," Alan Feinberg, piano. Best chamber music performance: "Beethoven: Violin Sons. Nos. 9 "Kreutzer" & 10," Martha Argerich, piano; Gidon Kremer, violin; "Brahms: Cello Sons. Nos. 1 & 2/Schumann: 5 Stucke Im Volkston, Op.102, Etc.," Anner Bylsma, violoncello; Lambert Orkis, piano; "Brahms: Liebeslieder-Walzer, Op. 52/Neue Liebeslieder-Walzer, Op. 65," Olaf Bar, baritone; Barbara Bonney, soprano; Kurt Streit, tenor; Anne Sofie von Otter, mezzo soprano; "Corigliano: String Quartet," Cleveland Quartet; "Schumann: Piano Quintet; Piano Quartet, Etc.," Martha Argerich, piano (various artists). Best classical vocal performance: "Britten: Phaedra," Lorraine Hunt; "Faure: L'Horizon Chimerique ," Sanford Sylvan; "Opera Arias (Works Of Mozart, Wagner, Borodin, Etc.)," Bryn Terfel; "Visions Of Love - A Collection Of Mozart Arias," Renee Fleming; "Where Shall I Fly, Handel & Mozart Arias," Jennifer Larmore; "Wings in the Night - Swedish Songs," Anne Sofie von Otter. Best classical contemporary composition: "Adams: Violin Concerto," John Adams, composer (Gidon Kremer, violin); "Corigliano: String Quartet," John Corigliano, composer (Cleveland Quartet); "Matthews: Fourth Sonata," Colin Matthews, composer (Oliver Knussen, conductor; London Sinfonietta); "Rautavaara: Angel Of Light," Einojuhani Rautavaara, composer (Leif Segerstam, conductor; Helsinki Phil. Orch.); "Schuller: Four Soundscapes," Gunther Schuller, composer (Gunther Schuller, conductor; The Louisville Orch.). Best music video, short form: "Ironic," Alanis Morissette; "Tonight, Tonight," the Smashing Pumpkins; "Earth Song," Michael Jackson; "Walking Contradiction," Green Day; "Free As A Bird," the Beatles. Best music video, long form: "Satie And Suzanne," Reinbert de Leeuw; "Live From London," Bon Jovi; "The Beatles Anthology," The Beatles; "Blood Brothers," Bruce Springsteen; "Farewell - Live From the Universal Amphitheatre," Oingo Boingo.

Information from Associated Press is included in this report.