Advertising

Tuesday, September 8, 1998 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

33 Primary Election -- State Legislature

State Legislature

The 49 members of the Senate and 98 members of the House of Representatives comprise the lawmaking branch of state government. Each of the state's 49 legislative districts elects one senator and two representatives. Senators serve four-year terms, House members two. The salary is $28,300. However, the Speaker of the House receives $36,300. The House minority leader receives $32,300, as do the Senate minority and majority leaders.

# indicates incumbent

---------- District 1 ----------

----------------- House, Position 1 -----------------

Ian Elliot Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-823-2674.

Education: B.S., Oregon State University.

Political history: State representative, 1995-96.

Family: Married, two children.

Endorsements: National Federation of Independent Businesses, Washington Association of Realtors, Apartment Association of Seattle & King County, Washington State Funeral Directors Association, Washington Arms Collectors.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? A bill that would assure civil dialogue between competing interest groups in the state. Not mandating agreement, just communication on intellectual terms, not political.

Do you support state Initiative 200 to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I believe we are a nation of laws and that all people should have equality under the law. I need to study the initiative further and hear lively debate on both sides of the initiative to see which way it would change the law.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? So far, I have not decided. Both of the arguments, higher wages mean more family-wage jobs and higher wages mean fewer entry-level jobs, are compelling.

What is the last book you read? "The Living," by Anne Dillard.

E-mail: elliot96@accessone.com

Webpage: www.ianelliot.org

Al O'Brien # Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-771-2141.

Education: B.A., M.A., Seattle University.

Political history: Incumbent.

Family: Divorced, two children.

Endorsements: Bothell and Kirkland Firefighters Association; Washington State Council of Police Officers; King County Police Officers Guild; Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO; Washington Education Association.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? If I could pass only one bill it would deal with property taxes. I have doorbelled thousands of homes over the past three years, and the most common complaint has to do with the steady rise in property taxes. This is true of young families just trying to get a start and of senior citizens - many of whom are on fixed incomes and feel they are getting taxed out of their homes.

Do you support state Initiative 200 to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No, because discrimination is still a common practice in our society. Affirmative action should be continued, albeit in a different form. Quota systems must be prohibited. They do more harm than good in the long run. Affirmative action should be used to ensure that all interested people are given a chance to apply and test for education and job openings. The best-qualified should then be chosen for the position.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. Washington state has the lowest minimum wage of any state on the West Coast. Any increase in income received by people on the minimum wage will go right back into the economy in the form of increased consumption. The aggregate effect of an increase in the minimum wage will be an increase in the demand for goods and services.

What is the last book you read? "One World, Ready or Not: The Manic Logic of Global Capitalism," by William Greider.

----------------- House, Position 2 -----------------

Jeanne A. Edwards Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-482-9442.

Education: No college degree, but college credits.

Political history: Bothell City Council member, Community Transit Board chairwoman.

Family: Married, four children, five grandchildren.

Endorsements: Cascade Uniserv; Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO; The Children's Alliance; King County Democratic Central Committee; King County Women's Political Caucus.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? If someone could define exactly what a premier education for every child in this state would be and what it would cost - I'd vote for that plan. While we are defining that, my wish list would be for a bill that would provide funding the Basic Health Plan for all the people in the state who really need it. Either of these wish-list bills would make a tremendous difference in this state.

Do you support state Initiative 200 to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No, I do not support I-200. It goes too far. One only has to look at the reported results of California's Proposition 209 to know that while the laws we do have may be flawed, the alternative is predictable. A better alternative may be to pass laws designating that unqualified workers or students will not be placed in jobs/schools, or perhaps shifting the focus of affirmative action to the economically disadvantaged.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes, I support raising the minimum wage. Washington has fallen behind all other states on the West Coast. I believe that this initiative with its concomitant indexing to inflation will put us back on track and we won't have to vote for the measure again.

What is the last book you read? "Stones from the River," by Ursula Hegi.

Ted Jensen Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-774-3359.

Education: B.A., Central Washington University; graduate work, University of Washington.

Political history: None.

Endorsements: Washington Trade Council, Washington Public Employees Association.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? Transportation is the key to quality of life and continual economic prosperity. We need to step up to the plate and be honest with the public. To prevent gridlock in five years, we need to fund transportation now because traffic causes more frustration and affects so many people in the greater Seattle-Everett area. I will support a user's tax such as raising the gas tax. Also, with this revenue I would work hard to see that the Regional Transit Authority (RTA) is funded.

Do you support state Initiative 200 to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I do not support I-200. I see it as a major step backwards in offering opportunities to minorities. Look around our community and see the progress that has opened doors in business, unions and educational institutions to all Americans. I-200 plays on the fears of white males who struggle for economic protection. If our economy slows down, this fear will only get worse and I-200 becomes the tool to fight back.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? I support I-688, and I have worked collecting more than 300 signatures for its approval. As I stated before, I believe in fairness, and what is fair about working for less than $5 per hour? During my campaign I always stress we need jobs that can support families, and I-688 is a small step in that direction.

What is the last book you read? "Siege of Silence," by A.J. Quinnell.

E-mail: ted@eskimo.com

Webpage: www.tedjensen.com

Mike Sherstad # Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-823-5088.

Education: Attended University of Washington.

Political history: Incumbent.

Family: Married, three children.

Endorsements: Washington State Council of Police Officers, Affordable Housing Council, National Federation of Independent Businesses, Human Life of Washington, National Rifle Association.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? If I could pass only one bill this session, it would be to repeal the personal-property tax, or motor-vehicle excise tax. The value of your car has no connection to the damage it does to the roads. Because transportation needs are a legitimate function of government, transportation funding must be addressed in a more efficient way than a personal-property tax.

Do you support state Initiative 200 to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I do not believe that anyone should be discriminated against, or given special treatment, on the basis of race or gender. I support I-200 in its entirety.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? I do not believe in wage controls. Increasing the minimum wage will result in the loss of some jobs, perhaps by the ones who need them most. I believe in the principles of individual liberty and limited government; people should be free to decide and negotiate what wage they are willing to work for without government intrusion.

What is the last book you read? "The Death of Common Sense," by Phillip Howard.

E-mail: Repd1@aol.com

----------- District 10 -----------

Dave Anderson # Democrat.

Campaign phone: 360-579-6042.

Education: Doctor of veterinary medicine, Washington State University; bachelor's degree, University of Washington.

Political history: Incumbent, elected 1996.

Family: Married, two children, one grandchild.

Endorsements: Washington Conservation Voters, Children's Campaign Fund, Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs, State Labor Council, National Federation of Independent Business.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? High on the list would be a transportation plan that realistically addressed our needs.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I'm concerned that the initiative as written is too sweeping and too broad. Some programs that allowed women to take their place in our work force, for example, might be eliminated if it passes. I am open to listening to how affirmative-action laws could be fine-tuned to reflect changing times and economic realities.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes.

What is the last book you read? "Cold Mountain."

Webpage: www.whidbey.net/islandgreens/dave

Gordon Koetje Republican.

Campaign phone: 360-331-3984.

Education: Four-year carpentry apprenticeship; high school.

Political history: Island County commissioner, six years.

Family: Married, five children.

Endorsements: None listed.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? A bill requiring a "sunset" date on each bill passed.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Yes. I believe qualification for jobs and educational opportunities should be qualification/performance-based.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? No. Wages should be based on performance.

What is the last book you read? Autobiography of Colin Powell.

Kelly Barlean Republican.

Campaign phone: 360-221-6096.

Education: J.D., University of Colorado School of Law; B.S. U.S. Air Force Academy.

Political history: Langley City Council member.

Family: Married, one daughter.

Endorsements: Washington State Police and Sheriffs Union, Washington State Council of Firefighters, Washington State Trial Lawyers, Washington State Public School Employees Union, Washington Realtors Association.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? Eliminate the Sexual Offender Sentencing Alternative which allows child rapists to evade prison.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. The majority should not be deciding the rights of the minority. The founding fathers abhorred this concept. This should be dealt with on the legislative level, where I would support it.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. No. It hurts small business.

What is the last book you read? The Foreign Affairs Journal.

E-mail: barlean@whidbey.com

Alec McDougall Democrat.

Campaign phone: 360-424-6510.

Education: Master's degree in math curriculum, Western Washington State College; bachelor's degree in math education, Western Washington State College.

Political history: none.

Family: Married, four children.

Endorsements: Washington State Labor Council, Washington Conservation Voters, Washington School Administrators, Equality Washington, Laborers Local No. 901 (Mount Vernon).

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? I would love to author or sponsor a growth-management plan that all parties could live with and that would take us well into the 21st century in an orderly fashion.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I am against Initiative 200. Eliminating affirmative action would eliminate programs that encourage young women to pursue jobs in the fields of math, science and engineering. Its elimination would also terminate programs that open doors for women and minorities to compete in public education, employment and contracting.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. Washington state has the lowest minimum wage on the West Coast. A full-time worker making $5.15 an hour earns barely over $10,000 annually, 30 percent below the federal poverty threshold for a family of four and 15 percent below the standard for a family of three. The minimum wage is supposed to assure "the maintenance of the minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency, and general well-being of workers.".

What is the last book you read? "Skeleton Canyon," by J.A. Jance.

E-mail: amcd@premier1.net

Webpage: www.premier1.net/amcd

----------- District 21 -----------

------ Senate ------

Paull Shin Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-741-2011.

Education: Doctorate degree in history, master's degree in International Relations, bachelor's degree in political science.

Political history: Former state legislator; ran for Congress and state lieutenant governor.

Endorsements: The Children's Defense Fund; Deaconess Children's Services; Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO; Washington Education Association; District Lodge 751, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? It would be that all children have the opportunity to learn in the safest place and that they receive only the best education which will allow them to be successful in life. Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. Initiative 200 goes too far. Affirmative access is about access. We need to ensure that all people have access to the many opportunities that are available, not limiting their opportunities.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. Raising the minimum wage is the first step in ensuring that people can make a living wage so they can support themselves and their families.

What is the last book you read? "The Organization Man," by William White.

E-mail: paulshin@nwlink.com

Webpage: www.nwlink.com/paulshin

Jeannette Wood # Republican.

Campaign phone: 206-546-1025.

Education: B.S., Cornell University.

Political history: Elected to State Senate 1994; served six years in state House; former Woodway mayor and city councilwoman.

Family: Married, six children, 12 grandchildren.

Endorsements: Law Enforcement Administrators of Washington; Washington State Patrol Troopers Association; Washington State Council of Police and Sheriffs; Washington State Firefighters; Edmonds Firefighters.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? I would like to pass a bill establishing affordable, predictable tuition for the state's higher-education institutions. We passed a similar bill for the 1997-98 budget cycle limiting tuition increases to 4 percent each year, but it will expire this year. I would like to create policy that extends that concept for the foreseeable future.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I-200, which proposes to eliminate discrimination in state hiring, may actually eliminate the state's affirmative-action program. I believe it is too early to eliminate affirmative-action programs. I would not argue for the passage of I-200.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? I do not support I-688. In particular, I object to the indexing clause in this initiative, which would automatically continue to raise the minimum wage to the point where entry-level jobs will be lost because employers cannot afford to pay that rate for unskilled labor. This initiative will actually hurt the people it claims to protect.

What is the last book you read? "Warren G. Magnuson and the Shaping of Twentieth-Century America," by Shelby Scates.

E-mail: wood@cmc.net

Jerry A. Blanton Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-774-3430.

Age: 55Occupation: Owner and president, J&S Petroleum Service Inc.

Education: B.A., University of Washington.

Political history: Elected to state Legislature in 1994, lost in 1996.

Family: Married.

Endorsements: National Federation of Independent Business, Affordable Housing Council, Automotive Union Trade Organization, Independent Business Association, Snohomish County Association of Realtors.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? I would propose a bill to improve our educational system. We have to make sure children get the best education possible because they are our hope for the future. I propose we fully fund Saturday school and summer school to bring poorly performing students up to grade-level standards.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Yes. The idea of discriminating against an individual because of sex, race or ethnic heritage is wrong. So too, is the idea of pitting one race or ethnic group against another. I believe our government and our society should be color-blind.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? No. This is an anti-education initiative. Young kids will drop out of high school and college to take jobs and forget their education. This is bad for our long-term future. If we are to continue leading the world in productivity, we must be able to provide our young people with entry-level jobs which may well be eliminated or exported overseas because of the cost of this measure.

What is the last book you read? "Thomas Jefferson - Man on a Mountain" by Natalie S. Bober.

E-mail: jerrybl@gte.net

Mike Cooper # Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-775-9157.

ccupation: Lieutenant firefighter, state legislator.

Education: Edmonds High School, some college.

Political history: Elected to state House in 1996.

Endorsements: Washington State Building Trades Council, Washington State Council of Police Officers, Washington Association of Fire Chiefs, Washington Conservation Voters, Children's Campaign Fund.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? A comprehensive transportation plan, not a "Band-Aid" approach, that meets our needs into the next century without strapping our children with a huge debt. One that includes transit and other alternative transportation methods.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I'm concerned that the initiative is too sweeping and broad, so I'll be voting against it. Programs that allow qualified women an equal opportunity in higher education and the work force might be eliminated if the initiative passed. However, our affirmative-action laws should be fine-tuned to reflect changing times and economic realities. I want to get to the day when we truly do have a colorblind society.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. Washington has the lowest minimum wage on the West Coast. Our lowest-paid workers deserve to be paid at least at the poverty level.

What is the last book you read? "Warren G. Magnuson and the Shaping of 20th Century America," by Shelby Scates.

E-mail: repcooper@thefirehall.com

Webpage: www.repcooper.thefirehall.com

Mike Eckart Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-776-2999.

Education: Naval Electronics Training, 1974-1980; some college.

Endorsements: Northwest Building Trades Council, American Women's Work, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers District 751.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? Education: ensuring safety in the classroom, limiting class sizes, responsible funding rather than continually resorting to levies, give teachers a greater role in choosing the curriculum.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No, the wording is misleading. While current affirmative-action laws may need updating, trying to create an idealistic work force in a vaguely worded initiative won't work.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes, this affords workers the chance for decent housing and basic essentials. When wages are unrealistically low, we all suffer the effects.

What is the last book you read? "Black Holes, Baby Universes and Other Essays," by Stephen Hawking.

E-mail: meckart@conceptsnet.com

Renee Radcliff # Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-348-3446Age: 39Occupation: Freelance editor.

Education: Bachelor's degree from Sonoma State University.

Political history: Incumbent, elected 1994.

Family: Married, one child.

Endorsements: Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs; Washington State Patrol Troopers Association; Washington State Council of Fire Fighters; Children's Campaign Fund; Washington School Administrators.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? A measure to provide seed money, distributed through competitive grants, to develop programs designed to keep youth out of our juvenile-justice system. Kids generally start getting in trouble between the hours of 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. These grants would fund research-based crime-preventative programs including positive mentoring, academic tutoring, etc. The bill would include strict accountability measures so we know which programs are working and should be duplicated.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Because Initiative 200 deals only with the issue of preferential treatment - in other words, moving lesser-qualified candidates higher on a list of potential candidates simply because they fill a "quota" - I support it. If it did away with affirmative action altogether, I would not support it.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Mandating a raise in wages is not an appropriate way to deal with poverty. A raise in the minimum wage will just drive up the cost of everything from groceries to housing. I support fair, reasonable wages for employees as determined by the marketplace and the cost of living. We may not be there in all industries, but a mandated pay increase does not solve these problems. I do not support Initiative 688.

What is the last book you read? Now reading "Warren G. Magnuson and the Shaping of Twentieth-Century America," by Shelby Scates

----------- District 38 -----------

------ Senate ------

Jeralita (Jeri) Costa Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-252-2882.

Education: Highline Community College, paralegal certificate; Everett Community College.

Political history: Two-term state representative.

Endorsements: Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO; Snohomish County Deputy Sheriff Association; Everett Firefighters Local 46; Children's Campaign Fund; Aerospace Machinists Industrial District Lodge 751.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? There are so many issues that are important to our children, families, businesses and communities.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. This initiative is deceptive. It is not about civil rights, but will end equal opportunity for women and minorities. It will end outreach/recruitment efforts aimed at girls and minority youth. It will end goals for admitting young women and minorities to colleges and universities. It will return us to the days when jobs were awarded based on "who you know." In contrast, affirmative action is about ensuring equal opportunity for all qualified individuals.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. Washington state has the lowest minimum wage on the West Coast. The lowest-paid workers in our state make $4.90 per hour and in many cases receive no benefits. Seventy percent of the minimum-wage earners in our state are women; most of them are the heads of households. It is nearly impossible to raise a healthy family on this wage. I-688 is a moderate increase in the minimum wage.

What is the last book you read? "The Death of Common Sense: How Law Is Suffocating America," by Philip K. Howard.

E-mail: costaforsenate@seanet.com

Webpage: www.seanet.com/costaforsenate

Gary Strannigan # Republican.

Candidate did not provide information.

Erv Hoglund Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-259-2735.

Education: Seattle University, M.A., adult education; Western Washington University, B.A., education; Everett Community College.

Family: Married, two sons; three grandchildren.

Endorsements: Snohomish County-Camano Island Board of Realtors, Human Life.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? Lower the age of juvenile offenders from 12 years old to 8 years old. Intervention at an earlier age would enable our justice system to address potential behavioral problems before they result in serious crimes at an older age. Hopefully this would result in less disruption in the schools and less serious juvenile crime.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Yes. Enshrining special treatment for any group based on something over which they have no control is incompatible with our belief in equal rights for all. Help for disadvantaged students is the best way to ensure equal opportunity for all.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes, because it is apparent that the people of my district want it approved. However, I am troubled by what it will do to unemployment among youth and how it might hurt employment in an economic downturn. Proponents never have a good answer for the question of why raise the minimum wage to a level that is still below the poverty level. Why not raise it to at least $7 per hour, which would bring workers to the poverty level? I am not a proponent of cost-of-living adjustments.

What is the last book you read? "Angela's Ashes," by Frank McCourt

Doris McCarthy Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-259-4791.

Education: High school; business courses.

Political history: Appointed to Everett Transportation Advisory Committee, chairman of board of trustees and legislative representative for Transportation Communication Union District 2505.

Family: Married, one child.

Endorsements: None listed.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? No response.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No response.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? No response.

What is the last book you read? No response.

Aaron Reardon Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-750-7888.

Education: B.A. in public administration, political science and an extended minor in economics, Central Washington University.

Endorsements: Washington State Troopers Association, Washington State Labor Council, Retired Firefighters of Washington State, Washington Health Care Association, Snohomish County Democrats.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? I will work to pass a comprehensive work-force-training bill that enables workers to receive ongoing training and skills learning. The bill will offer tax incentives to corporations that participate above and beyond current standards. These savings can be redirected toward increased research and development as well as ongoing training and retraining for workers. This allows our workers and corporations to succeed through increasing their competitive abilities in our state's growing and changing economy.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. Affirmative action is not about quotas, it is about an equal chance to succeed. While I do not advocate hiring people with lesser skills, I believe that some consideration of the difference between two people of similar skills is justified. Until we provide equal education and opportunity for all, then we have to raise certain standards so that we all have the opportunity for success.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. There is a growing disparity between rich and poor, and each day more middle-class families fall into the "working poor" category. An increase in minimum wages will give thousands of people an opportunity to provide more for their families.

What is the last book you read? "Staying the Course," by U.S. Sen. Henry M. "Scoop" Jackson

Webpage: www.geocities.com/reardon4wa

Ann C. Weinzierl Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-252-5486.

Education: B.A. in accounting, University of Michigan.

Political history: Served on Everett City Council; ran for U.S. House of Representatives.

Endorsements: Retired Firefighters of Washington, Washington Conservation Voters, O.P.E.I.U. Local 8.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? I would propose a health-care-reform bill that is comprehensive, one that would require managed-care providers to provide patients an appeal process for treatment denials, better pay for long-term care providers and mandatory coverage of contraceptives by prescription providers.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. Initiative 200 eliminates affirmative action. This very divisive and back-door attempt to undo the civil-rights movement of the 1960s pits men against women, white against black, and youth against the aged to draw attention away from the real issue - wage and income disparity. Initiative 200 is yet another attempt to keep women and people of color off this economy's fast track and out of corporate boardrooms.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. Initiative 688 will raise the minimum wage in Washington from the current $4.90 to $5.75 in 1999 and to $6.50 in 2000. The opponents of this bill say they just cannot afford it, but the state of Oregon's current minimum wage is $6.50 and California's is $5.75. Seventy percent of the people working for minimum wage in our state are women, and 40 percent of those women are single mothers trying to raise a family.

What is the last book you read? "The Big Boys: Power and Position on American Business," by Ralph Nader and William Taylor.

E-mail: democrat38@juno.com

Webpage: none

Gregory Dean Lemke Reform Party.

Campaign phone: 425-355-3680.

Education: Snohomish High School graduate, 1982.

Family: Single.

Endorsements: None yet.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? Bill SB 5460, as revised, which would make it illegal for groups financed with public funds, such as the Association of Washington Cities, to lobby for or donate money to ballot campaigns or candidates.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No, I oppose Initiative 200. I support affirmative action.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes, because the cost of living is going up.

What is the last book you read? "Health Care Ethics: A Theological Analysis," by Benedict M. Ashley

Patricia (Pat) Scott # Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-347-7085.

Occupation: Community relations, city of Everett transportation services.

Education: Business college, Portland, Ore.

Political history: State representative, seven terms.

Family: Single, son; two grandchildren.

Endorsements: Law Enforcement Administrators of Washington; Washington State Labor Council; Washington Public Employees Association; Washington State Patrol Troopers Association; Washington State Council of Police Officers.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? A budget proposal that would fully fund education and provide a fix for all our transportation needs.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. We have not yet attained total equality for women and minorities, and passage of this initiative would only erode our efforts to date and take us backwards.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. Washington now has the lowest minimum wage on the West Coast. We should at least be comparable to our neighboring states. Our workers deserve the dignity of earning a living wage.

What is the last book you read? "Titanic"

E-mail: PLS5779@aol.com

----------- District 39 -----------

Ed Davis Republican.

Campaign phone: 360-793-2482Age: 44.

Education: B.A. in business and aeronautics, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University; business administration, University of Maine.

Endorsements: IMPAC.

If you could pass only one bill what would it be? I would pass a bill that repealed all laws inconsistent with the original intent of the Constitution of the United States set up by our Founding Fathers, and reinstitute all laws consistent with the Constitution, thereby resulting in the restoration of our government.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Yes. No one group of people should be given special rights.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? No. Government does not need to legislate how private businesses should manage their business.

What is the last book you read? "Scottish Chiefs," by Jane Porter.

E-mail: EDSAH1@aol.com

Hans Dunshee # Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-338-7876.

Education: M.A. in political science and environmental policy, Western Washington University; B.A. in anthropology, University of Washington.

Political history: Incumbent, elected 1996. Also served in state House 1993-1994.

Family: Married, one stepdaughter.

Endorsements: Washington Council of Police Officers and Sheriffs, Children's Campaign Fund, Aerospace Machinists Industrial Lodge 751, Washington Conservation Voters, Washington State Association of Fire Chiefs.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? A bill to reduce the influence of big-money interests. The interests of the average taxpayer - the millions of men and women working to make a living, to educate their kids, to care for their elderly parents - are often ignored because they lack necessary resources: money, and lots of it.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. I do not support preferences or discriminations. However, I was disappointed that the state Legislature chose not to have an engaged debate about the affirmative-action policies in this state. We can do better than I-200.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? I strongly support raising the minimum wage. An increase in the minimum wage will help working families and those men and women trying to get off welfare. Economic studies have proven false the claim of job loss. Increasing the minimum wage is the right thing to do.

What is the last book you read? "Undaunted Courage," about the Lewis and Clark journey, by Stephen Ambrose.

E-mail: hans506@aol.com

Ken Estes Republican.

Campaign phone: 360-568-4841Age: 60Occupation: Retired Edmonds police officer.

Education: A.A., law enforcement Political history: None.

Family: Married, two children, two grandchildren.

Endorsements: Washington State Law Enforcement Association, Affordable Housing Council, Washington Arms Collectors, Human Life PAC, Washington Food Industry.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? I'd like to see a sunset law that would give a sunset date to all bureaucratic rules and regulations. They should be reviewed on a regular basis. We have literally hundreds of obsolete rules and regulations. Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I support it. It requires the state to quit discrimination as per the state Constitution. No one should be discriminated against or given preferential treatment.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? No. I do not believe the government should set wages, minimums or maximums. The marketplace takes care of this very well. As an employer, I never hired a person at minimum wage; it was usually $2 or $3 above the minimum wage because of the market.

What is the last book you read? "China Airlift," by the Hump Pilots Association.

E-mail: kene@virtual-cafe.com

Webpage: http://www.go-gop.com/estes98

John Koster # Republican.

Campaign phone: 360-805-0580.

Education: A.A., Everett Community College.

Political history: Incumbent, elected 1994.

Endorsements: Washington Council of Police Officers and Sheriffs, Gun Owners Association of Washington, Human Life, National Federation of Independent Business, Washington Association of Realtors, Washington Public Employees Association.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? Significant property-tax reduction.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Yes. Any discrimination of any kind is wrong.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? No. I do not believe this will help the people it is purported to help. It will drive small businesses out of business and drive up prices, fueling inflation.

What is the last book you read? "Stars in their Courses: The Gettysburg Campaign," by Shelby Foote mail: repkoster@aol.com

Patricia Patterson Democrat.

Campaign phone: 360-403-3295Age: 45.

Education: B.A., communications, Washington State University.

Political history: Ran for state Senate in 1994.

Family: Single.

Endorsements: Children's Campaign Fund; Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO; Washington Conservation Voters; Washington Federation of State Employees, AFL-CIO If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? I would pass a bill and provide funding for the housing (temporary and long-term) of all homeless children and their families.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. This initiative throws the baby out with the bath water. Study after study proves that affirmative action works, especially in education. Since the inception of affirmative action, the employment culture has changed and some adjustments may need to be made. I can support those efforts.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. Minimum-wage increases have not kept pace with other wages in this state. This increase is important because welfare reform has increased the number of individuals with families who are dependent on minimum-wage jobs. If we don't increase the minimum wage, these individuals and their families will continue to fall through the cracks.

What is the last book you read? "A Lesson Before Dying," by Ernest J. Gaines.

E-mail: ppattercam@aol.com

----------- District 44 -----------

------ Senate ------

Jeanine Long # Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-338-7233.

Education: Bachelor's degree in psychology, University of Washington.

Political history: Elected to Senate in 1994; served in state House from 1983-1986 and 1993-1994; served on Brier City Council.

Family: Five children, seven grandchildren.

Endorsements: Washington State Council of Police Officers; Washington Association of Realtors; Children's Campaign Fund; Washington Public Employees Association; Washington State Council of Firefighters.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? To prevent re-offending by dangerous, mentally ill offenders.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Yes. Giving preference sends the wrong message and is demeaning to its beneficiaries. Why work hard to get the best grades if someone with lower grades gets into college and you don't? Why give your job your all if you know someone else who doesn't, will likely be promoted over you? However, some people are disadvantaged, and we should help them help themselves so they can take pride in a promotion or college admission.

What is the last book you read? "The Partner" by John Grisham

Kerry J. Watkins Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-348-7946.

Education: Graduate, Everett Community College; Officer Candidate School, Washington Army National Guard.

Family: Single, two children.

Endorsements: District Lodge 751, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? An education/crime/transportation bill. More seriously, voters have expressed that education is their top concern, and my priorities must reflect the interests of the voters, so an education bill would be a likely candidate.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No. This initiative is about undoing the progress that has been made since the beginning of the civil-rights movement. Look at the staffs of the proponents of I-200; you will find very few people of color or of diverse interests. To these people, minorities and women will automatically be considered incompetent when seeking employment as evident by their own hiring practices. Their agenda should not be forced on the citizens of this state.

What is the last book you read? "Case Closed," by Gerald Posner.

E-mail: kerryjwatkins@hotmail.com

Eric Goodrich Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-742-9830.

Occupation: Part-time computer-research lab instructor, Edmonds Community College; district manager, Everett Herald.

Education: Bachelor's degree in journalism, Harding College, Searcy, Ark.; paralegal certification, Edmonds Community College.

Family: Single, no children.

Endorsements: Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO; Snohomish County Democrats; 44th Legislative District Democrats; District Lodge 751, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers; Joint Council of Teamsters No. 28.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? Right now we need to work on saving one of our most important resources of the Northwest - our salmon runs - before the federal government shuts that resource down. I would work to pass legislation that would allow us to maintain that resource in a fair and balanced way. Habitat preservation is good for salmon, but we need to look at the supply-side issues and get all parties to agree on letting fish get to their spawning grounds while still being able to utilize this valuable resource in a sustainable, equitable manner.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? No, I do not support I-200. It leads to an atmosphere of distrust and does not help in building partnerships within our communities or solve the everyday problems facing us like overcrowded schools and jammed roads.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? I do support I-688. Washington state has the lowest minimum wage on the West Coast.

What is the last book you read? "Sudden Prey" by John Sanford.

E-mail: egroodrichin98@yahoo.com

Webpage: www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/6346/goodrich.html

Dave Schmidt # Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-806-9665.

Occupation: Personnel administrator, Washington National Guard.

Education: Master's degree, Multnomah Biblical Seminary; bachelor's degree, George Fox University.

Political history: Elected to state House in 1994.

Endorsements: 100 percent rating from Association of Washington Business; Washington Federation of State Employees, AFL-CIO; Washington State Council of Firefighters; Washington State Council of Police Officers; Washington Public Employees Association If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? Creating a program of "managed competition" for state government. The concept is proving to be successful in other states and cities across America.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Yes. Racism and discrimination will not be corrected by government-sponsored discrimination.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Not as it is written. I have serious economic concerns for an annual cost-of-living increase to the minimum wage.

What is the last book you read? "Executive Orders" by Tom Clancy.

E-mail: repdaveschmidt@msn.com

Webpage: www.daveschmidt.org

Terri Thornton Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-743-7456Age: 38.

Education: Associate degree in family support, Edmonds Community College; studied teaching at Everett Community College.

Political history: Ran for Snohomish County Council in 1997.

Endorsements: I don't endorse endorsements.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? I would like to pass a bill to protect children and families from being homeless. We should be able to step in and help each other before losing everything and then maybe getting some help. Why not help before the problem? Let's prevent homelessness.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? Initiative 200 is an issue with a positive and negative outcome and I'm still learning from my district on how they feel.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? I support Initiative 688, but the business will just up the prices to cover their costs.

What is the last book you read? "Real Estate Law"

John Lovick Democrat.

Campaign phone: 425-337-5466.

Education: Associate's degree in criminal justice, Shoreline Community College.

Political history: Mayor pro-tem of Mill Creek, January 1998-present; Mill Creek City Council since 1994.

Family: Married, three children, two stepchildren.

Endorsements: Children's Campaign Fund; Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO; Seattle Firefighters Union, Local 27; Public School and Industrial Local 1239; Washington Conservation Voters.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? All of us should have a goal to help children. Therefore, my bill would give children access to quality early-childhood education such as Head Start. We need to fund programs that seek to help kids come to school ready to learn. My bill would completely fund Head Start programs in the state.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I do not support I-200. I do not think we need to end affirmative action. It is clear to me that women would be hurt the most if affirmative action is ended. Women earn 72 cents for every dollar a man earns. We need to correct areas where this is a problem, but not end affirmative action.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? Yes. I also was successful in gathering signatures to place I-688 on the November ballot, which will allow citizens the ultimate decision. The fact we have a good economy and hardworking citizens trying to make ends meet would be a good reason to raise the minimum wage.

What is the last book you read? "Breaking Barriers" by Carl T. Rowan.

E-mail: Lovick98@aol.com

Webpage: www.geocities.com/lovick/TOC.html

Bill Thompson # Republican.

Campaign phone: 425-398-9750.

Education: Master's degree in education, bachelor's degrees in mechanical science and industrial engineering, Air Force Squadron Officers School.

Political history: Elected in 1994.

Endorsements: Washington State Council of Firefighters; Washington State Association of Fire Chiefs; Washington Council of Police Officers; Washington State Commercial Association of Realtors.

If you could pass only one bill, what would it be? It would be a bill to ensure accountability and choice in education. It would ensure a high-quality academic education so that all graduates would be qualified for either the work force or higher education. Social promotions would not be tolerated unless the individual was not mentally able to proceed.

Do you support state Initiative 200, to prohibit preferential treatment in government hiring and education? Why or why not? I support Initiative 200. When affirmative action was started in the '60s, it didn't include preferential treatment; in fact it was promised it wouldn't, but now we have had it for nearly 35 years. It's time that all people are hired on their own merit. We still have affirmative action to ensure fairness and special assistance in education. Equal opportunity is there; it's up to the individual to take advantage of it and to be rewarded for their individual accomplishments.

Do you support Initiative 688, to raise the minimum wage? Why or why not? If we can agree that a fair definition for inflation is to raise a price of a product or service without increasing the value of the product or service, it is obvious that raising the minimum wage is direct inflation, which causes interest rates to increase, prices to increase, and hurts the economy. The answer is clearly no.

What is the last book you read? "Trading for a Living"

E-mail: thompsonbi@msn.com

Copyright (c) 1998 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising