Advertising

Wednesday, April 21, 1999 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Puget Sound Newswatch

Halogen-Lamp Dangers Shown

SEATTLE - The potential dangers of some high-heat halogen lamps was demonstrated at a news conference today by Seattle City Light, which cooked eggs on one lamp and threw a hand towel - which ignited - on another.

The floor lamps - called torchieres - are "one of the more dangerous products that are still legal to sell," said Chris Calwell, an energy consultant.

Nationally, halogen lamps have been been linked to more than 350 fires, 29 deaths, 114 injuries, and $2 million in property damage nationwide, according to Anne Ducey, marketing coordinator for Seattle Light.

Today's demonstration was a prelude to the "Great Torchiere Turn-In," from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Fifth Avenue and Mercer Street parking lot.

Consumers are asked to bring in their old halogen lamps and replace them with a newer brand, Energy Star compact flourescent lamps.

The Energy Star lights will cost $29.95 at Saturday's event, $5 less with a trade-in.

Copyright (c) 1999 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising


Get home delivery today!

Advertising