Advertising

Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Seahawks

Seattle Times staff reporter

Perhaps the Seahawks should consider ending their longest minicamp of the year a day earlier than scheduled.

The eight-day workout concludes tomorrow and was supposed to be a no-contact final rehearsal before a monthlong vacation and the start of training camp in July.

Yesterday, however, Seattle lost its second player in a week to injury.

This time, cornerback Fred Vinson suffered a season-ending torn right anterior cruciate ligament. His injury follows one to offensive tackle Chris McIntosh, who received an inadvertent poke in the eye last week and was taken to a hospital.

McIntosh can resume playing in a few weeks, but Vinson became the second Seahawk knocked out of the NFL regular season by an offseason injury. Center/guard Robbie Tobeck suffered a torn patella tendon last month.

"It didn't sound good to me," Seahawk Coach Mike Holmgren said of Vinson's injury. "There was no contact. He just pivoted and hurt it."

Vinson, acquired in a trade with Green Bay for running back Ahman Green, was competing for a nickel-back position.

Notes

-- The Seahawks will likely make a decision on two Green Bay free agents, George Koonce and Gilbert Brown, this week.

"The coaches are here one more week and then we're taking off and going on our vacations," Holmgren said. "Anything like that, I'd like to happen this week while I'm still here."

Koonce, a middle linebacker, is considering a short-term deal with the Seahawks, while Brown has a few options. The beefy defensive lineman has an incentive-laden offer on the table from the Packers, but reportedly favors Seattle.

-- Two Seahawks, tight end Christian Fauria and linebacker Chad Brown, made their minicamp debut yesterday.

-- Several receivers were not at yesterday's practice. Derrick Mayes and Fabien Bownes had excused absences. Running back Ricky Watters skipped the workout to attend Steve Young's retirement announcement, Holmgren said.

Copyright (c) 2000 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising