Advertising

Tuesday, September 5, 2000 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

LEGISLATURE

Legislature: Ninety-eight members in House of Representatives and 49 members in the state Senate constitute the lawmaking branch of state government, a part-time, citizens' Legislature. Senators serve four-year terms, representatives two-year terms. Salary: Most legislators make $32,024. There are exceptions. The speaker of the House makes $40,024. The Senate majority and minority leaders each make $32,024.

# Indicates incumbent

These are the questions The Times asked the candidates:

1. What privacy legislation would you support? Would you exempt financial institutions? Why or why not?

2. A commission studying transportation funding says a new financing mechanism is needed to keep Washington transportation projects on track. How would you propose financing future transportation projects?

3. A judge struck down Initiative 295's provision that would have required a public vote for all tax and fee increases. Would you support a constitutional amendment that would require the public vote? Why or why not?

LEGISLATIVE DISTRICT 32

State Representative Position 1

Jeanne "Magic" Black-Ferguson

Natural Law

Candidate did not respond

Leslie R. Klein

Republican

Residence: Seattle

Education: B.S., M.S. in engineering, Case Institute

Political history: None

Endorsements: None

Campaign Web site: None

Campaign theme: No response.

1. Undecided.

2. Use funds from the state lottery.

3. Yes. I'm against all tax increases.

Andrew Rogers

Libertarian

Education: B.A. in history, Trinity University

Political history: Founding secretary, Trinity University Campus Libertarian Coalition, 1987; executive director, Californians for Freedom to Work, 1990-93; director of state legislation, National Right to Work Committee, 1993-95; board member, Pacific Right to Work Coalition, 1993-present.

Endorsements: Libertarian Party of Washington State

Campaign Web site: www.free-market.net/members/r/rogers4liberty.html

1. Private businesses should be able to buy and sell information. Consumers can choose not to patronize companies based on how they handle information. From "Carnivore" to "Know Your Customer," the biggest threat to privacy today comes from government. We must stop government snooping on law-abiding citizens.

2. A competitive free market is the answer. There are countless creative, money-saving approaches to meeting infrastructure needs. Franchised rest stops, a free market in mass transit, and competitive bidding on construction and repair contracts for starters. Taxes should be the last, not first, option.

3. The Libertarian Party was among the first organizations to endorse I-291, well in advance of the GOP. I would support such an amendment. Washington is already the 11th-most-taxed state. Increasing taxes further is simply irresponsible. If politicians can't play responsibly, we should take away their toys.

Helen Sommers #

Democrat

Education: M.A. in economics, University of Washington

Political history: State representative, 1973-present

Endorsements: Sierra Club, Children's Campaign Fund, Law Enforcement Administrators of Washington

1. Privacy legislation should concentrate on the major areas of concern - probably identity theft and the sale of private information without the individual's knowledge. I believe there is growing support for action by Congress that would provide uniformity nationwide.

2. I expect to support any proposals developed by the Blue Ribbon Commission on Transportation Funding such as an increased gas tax. Any new transportation taxes will require strong support from business and labor in order to gain legislative approval.

3. I oppose a constitutional amendment to require a public vote on all tax and fee increases. A public vote on each and every tax and fee increase would be slow, cumbersome, costly and unworkable.

State Representative Position 2

Mary Lou Dickerson #

Democrat

Education: B.A. in journalism, University of Oregon; M.S.W., University of Hawaii; postgraduate work in business and public administration, University of Washington and Seattle University

Political history: State representative

Endorsements: Washington Conservation Voters, Washington State Council of Police and Sheriffs, King County Labor Council, AFL-CIO

Campaign Web site: www.maryloudickerson.com

Campaign theme: Offering common-sense solutions for everyday people.

1. We need strong legislation guarding against the current serious erosion of our privacy rights. Internet advertisements offer your Social Security number for $49 and your bank-account activity detail for $39. We need laws which include financial institutions and allow you to decide how your private information is used and who sees it.

2. Probably the least-painful method would be a sales tax connected with a gas tax. Such a tax should have to be approved by voters. Real solutions to our transportation mess will cost us money. We can't try to fool voters about that.

3. I would oppose it. Such an amendment would be a radical change away from our form of representative democracy. Our founders knew what they were doing in setting up our current system of representation. It allows for thoughtful review of a variety of conflicting needs prior to setting budgets.

Mike Lewis

Republican

Education: B.S. in economics, Texas A&M; B.S. in computer science, Roosevelt University

Political history: Republican precinct committee officer, 1993-present

Endorsements: 32th District Republicans; 43rd District Republicans; Seattle Metropolitan Republican Committee

Campaign theme: We can do better.

1. I would support legislation to strengthen the citizens' rights in the following areas: Organizations that ask you to provide data should be required to disclose how they use and safeguard personal data. This applies to online businesses, financial institutions, the medical industry and government.

2. We do not need new tax schemes. I support dedicating gas and motor-vehicle excise taxes to transportation, and requiring that 90 percent of those funds be spent on road maintenance and construction.

3. I would support a constitutional amendment that would require a public vote for all tax and fee increases. In passing I-291, the people voted to retain this power, and I think they should have it.

Don Zeek

Libertarian

Candidate did not respond

Copyright (c) 2000 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising