Sunday, January 7, 2001 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Backtalk

Readers write about Huskies and Seahawks

E-mail E-mail this article
Print Print this article

Husky football

Passion for a program

So often we focus on the negative aspects of the things that bring us great pleasure. Three columns in this section on Dec. 31 were devoted to frustrations with the Seattle sports scene. In response I would like to share my passion in the hope that you will be reminded of yours as we begin 2001.

My father and I have attended Husky football games since 1979. We share a passion for the program, the teams and the games that transcend the challenges of life. Perhaps the fantastic relationship I have with my dad would have been the same without all of those Saturday afternoons, but they have definitely been a highlight. Five guaranteed hours a week spent talking about life and the bowl chances of a classy program led by men of character and integrity were infinitely valuable.

Sharing wins that clinch Rose Bowls and devastating losses that dash away national-championship aspirations mirror the tumultuous emotions of life.

My final highlight of all these years is the unmatched character and grit of the team that played in the Rose Bowl this year. If you doubt the ability of sports to provide an example of how to live life, look closer at this team.

Leadership: Marques. Unselfishness: Willie Hurst. Courage: Every player on every play at Stanford. Self confidence, cohesiveness and passion: Fourth-quarter comebacks. Love: Curtis Williams.

Our world is full of passion, find some and focus on it in 2001.

John Graham, Kenmore

Seahawks

Hawks helped Ravens

As a native of Baltimore, I would like to thank the Seahawks for allowing the Ravens to sign Michael McCrary and Sam Adams. Both have contributed to the creation of one of the best defenses in NFL history, and this year Sam made his first Pro Bowl. They also won their first playoff game by beating Denver 21-3, and both players were vital to the victory.

It remains to be seen if Mike Holmgren can be successful as both head coach and general manager. With a large ego and no one to challenge his decisions, I think Holmgren will continue to ship out talented players to future playoff teams.

Walter Pry, Tacoma

Quit blaming the cap

Cortez Kennedy: I hope you find that Super Bowl ring out there. You deserve to play on a team that actually has a chance of winning the Super Bowl.

I wish the Seahawk front office had better judgment in picking coaches - instead of blaming the salary cap for every woe. Look at Mike Holmgren - we could hire six players of real talent and still be under the salary cap. Take a look and you will find discord somewhere, but most of the time, look to the coach.

David Giovine, Oakville

Send us your backtalk

Letters bearing true names, addresses and telephone numbers for verification are considered for publication. Please limit letters to 125 words or less. They are subject to editing and become the property of The Times.

Fax them to 206-464-3255, or mail to: Backtalk, Seattle Times Sports, PO Box 70, Seattle, WA 98111. Or e-mail to: sports@seattletimes.com.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising