Saturday, April 6, 2002 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Local Digest

Girl sentenced in man's murder

E-mail E-mail this article
Print Print this article

EVERETT — A judge sentenced a 15-year-old girl yesterday to 22 years behind bars for her role in the beating and stabbing death of an Everett man last year in an alleged murder-for-hire scheme.

Marriam Oliver agreed to a stipulated trial in Snohomish County Superior Court on a first-degree-murder charge, meaning the judge rendered a verdict based on police reports and other documents but did not hear testimony.

Oliver confessed to her part in 64-year-old Jerry Heimann's slaying, according to court papers.

For defendants, the advantage of a stipulated trial instead of a guilty plea is that it preserves their right to appeal. Oliver's lawyer is appealing a judge's decision that she be treated as an adult.

If she were treated as a juvenile, her maximum punishment would be incarceration until age 21.

Only one of five youths accused in Heimann's slaying, a 13-year-old boy, has been prosecuted as a juvenile. Kyle Boston, 15, has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and Jeffrey Grote, 18, to first-degree murder.

Prosecutors say the youths killed Heimann at the behest of Barbara Opel, 38, who cared for his elderly mother. She has been charged with aggravated-first-degree murder and could face the death penalty. Her 14-year-old daughter, Heather Opel, also faces a first-degree-murder charge.

18-year-old pleads guilty in football-field beating death

EVERETT — An 18-year-old man pleaded guilty to second-

degree murder yesterday in the beating death of a 15-year-old boy on a middle-school football field in November.

Matthew Dominic Teague and three others were initially charged with first-degree murder in Snohomish County Superior Court for the death of Joshua Lorbiecki, an Everett High School sophomore.

Teague agreed to plead to the lesser charge, which carries a standard sentencing range of about 10 to 18 years, and testify in the trials of two of the other defendants. Prosecutors agreed to recommend a sentence at the low end of the standard range.

One of his co-defendants, 20-year-old Steven Enus Limar, also pleaded guilty to second-degree murder this week and agreed to testify against the other defendants.

According to prosecutors, Teague, Limar, Fernando "Troy" Wilson, 18, and Emanuel "Manny" Wilson, 16, had planned to rob Lorbiecki of $400 that he was going to use to buy marijuana.

After Lorbiecki was beaten and had collapsed, prosecutors say, the four found only $12 in his wallet, missing a $400 wad rolled up in his pants pocket.

Navy secretary picks Everett for his first visit in Northwest

EVERETT — Navy Secretary Gordon England visited sailors aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln yesterday during his first tour of military installations in the Pacific Northwest.

England met with sailors after his tour of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, thanking them for their future role in the fight against terrorism.

As the civilian head of the Department of the Navy, England oversees about 674,000 sailors and Marines and 188,000 civilians.

Formerly an executive vice president of General Dynamics, England took over the department in May 2001.

Tacoma school's bandleader on leave over sex charges

TACOMA — Stadium High School's band director is on administrative leave after being charged with having sex with one of his students.

Raymond Blaine Dionne, 38, was charged Thursday in Pierce County Superior Court with three counts of first-degree sexual misconduct with a minor. An arraignment is scheduled April 18.

Dionne is accused of having sex three times with a girl, then 17, last year.

Trees to form windbreak between kids, orchard spray

WENATCHEE — Australian willows have been planted along a fence separating Sunnyslope Elementary School from two orchards to try to protect students from drifting pesticide spray.

The 9- to 10-foot-tall trees will eventually create a kind of wall, said Dan Ellwood, one of the teachers who participated in the project this week.

Deputy School Superintendent Greg Firn said farmers would also notify the school when pesticides are going to be applied to their orchards and try to schedule the applications for non-school days or hours.

After the orchards are sprayed, the school grounds are watered, the lawn mowed and playground equipment power-washed, he said.

On windy school days, if spraying is going on, students are kept indoors, he said.

Information is from the Seattle Times staff and news services.


Get home delivery today!