Advertising

Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Jean Godden / Times staff columnist

Puppet mix-up clarified

Rumor to the contrary, Norbert the puppet was NOT sold at a West Seattle yard sale. The yellow terry-cloth puppet that librarian Gina Terrana purchased resembles the star of "Boomerang," a 1970s and '80s KOMO-TV kids' show, but it's a case of mistaken identity.

Boomerang puppeteer Kathy Tolan Schnuckel says: "Please tell everyone that all the Boomerang gang members are safe, secure and enjoying their well-deserved retirement. Norbert still is not allowed to go near the No-No Tree, and both Melinda and Libby look just about the same, though if you look closely you can see laugh lines around their little terry-cloth mouths."

Schnuckel now works for Bellevue-based Western Video Services doing captioning for the deaf. She keeps the puppets, which belong to KOMO, on a shelf in her Snohomish County home. She says that someday they'll go back to the station or to the Museum of History & Industry.

Schnuckel has fond memories of the more than 150 episodes of the Emmy-winning show. So low was the budget that there were no rehearsals. It was a challenge, especially for singer Marni Nixon, who appeared on camera with Norbert.

Mention of Norbert still is magical for those who grew up watching. Dozens called to reminisce. A few sang the "Boomerang Song." (Don't ask.)

So if Schnuckel has the real Norberts — Norbert I and the newer Norbert II — who does Terrana have? Schnuckel guesses the yard-sale find is a copy of Ernie, a "Sesame Street" muppet.

•   •   •

Cutting edge: Last heard from, Dorothy Cutting of Salt Spring Island, B.C., was selling calendars featuring prominent women posed — tastefully — without clothing. Proceeds went to preserve island wilderness.

Now the 71-year-old Cutting — better known to Seattleites as Dorothy Morrell, her married name — is off on a cross-country odyssey with her white German shepherd Arta. She is taking 301 copies of Robert Hunter's "2030: Confronting the Thermageddon in Our Lifetime" to members of Canada's Parliament. The book warns of global warming.

Cutting is driving a hybrid Honda with a bumper sticker that reads, "I'm driving my hybrid car to give my grandchildren a future."

•   •   •

Culinary parade: If you were downtown Sunday, you may have wondered about the 300 pedestrians marching along Pine Street, carrying yellow umbrellas in the sunshine. The unneeded umbrellas identified members of DiRoNA, the Distinguished Restaurants of North America, here for their annual conference. As they walked from the Elliott Grand Hyatt to the monorail, they were guided by costumed "French waiters" from Rover's and Campagne.

•   •   •

Split decision: For today only, Grand Central Bakery owner Gwen Bassetti has rolled back the giant $1.85 cinnamon rolls to a quarter, their price in 1972, to celebrate the bakery's 30th anniversary.

Said one fan: "My mom and dad used to drive from Tacoma to buy bread, but they made my sister and I split a cinnamon roll because they were too 'expensive.' Today I'm going to eat a whole one."

Jean Godden: 206-464-8300 or jgodden@seattletimes.com.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising