Advertising

Sunday, October 27, 2002 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

UW Football

Suggs does sack dance on Huskies

Seattle Times staff reporter

TEMPE, Ariz. — Washington tackle Khalif Barnes spoke hopefully afterward of getting a chance to redeem himself next season against Arizona State defensive end Terrell Suggs.

But Suggs, a junior, appears ready to be playing somewhere else next season after dominating the UW line and leading Arizona State to a 27-16 win here last night.

Suggs had 4-1/2 sacks to give himself 17-1/2 for the season, which ties him for the official NCAA season record set a year ago by Syracuse's Dwight Freeney. The NCAA didn't officially recognize sacks as a record until the 2000 season. The Pac-10 record is 19.

Suggs did most of his damage matched up one-on-one on Barnes, a sophomore who had held Suggs without a sack in UW's win here a year ago.

"I thought they were going to double me," Suggs said.

Said Barnes: "He's definitely quicker off the ball this year than he was last year and he's better attack two ways, going inside and outside. He got me tonight."

Barnes thought the key sack came late in the first half when the Huskies were driving, down 14-0. Suggs sacked UW QB Cody Pickett on a third-down play, forcing a field goal.

"That was a critical point of the game and he beat me," Barnes said.

Hill does in Huskies

Here's one legacy the Washington Huskies should have continued.

Hakim Hill, the younger brother of former Washington receiver Lonzell Hill, sparked Arizona State in the early going of last night's win with two first-quarter touchdowns.

Hill, a freshman who played his high-school ball in Iowa City, Iowa, might have had three touchdowns in the first quarter had he not dropped a pass when he was wide open and heading for the end zone on a fourth-and-one play from UW's 36-yard-line.

"I will never hear the end of that," Hill said.

But Hill redeemed himself when he scored on a 6-yard screen pass from Andrew Walter to put the Sun Devils up 14-0 after an ASU interception.

Hill had scored on a 1-yard plunge up the middle to end ASU's first drive of the game. Hakim and Lonzell are the sons of former NFL star J.D. Hill.

Notes

• There was a lot of conjecture before the game that the Huskies might use receiver Charles Frederick at cornerback. Frederick had practiced at the position during the week as the Huskies attempted to shore up their pass defense, which had been blistered the last three games. But Frederick remained simply an offensive player. The UW started true freshman Nate Robinson at cornerback opposite Derrick Johnson. Robinson started because Roc Alexander is out for the season after having shoulder surgery.

• The winner of the UW running-back sweepstakes was junior Rich Alexis, who regained his starting role after sitting out last week's loss at USC. The Huskies experimented with Braxton Cleman and Chris Singleton against the Trojans, and UW Coach Rick Neuheisel had listed all three as potential starters. Cleman had the most success as he rushed for a team-high 40 yards and sparked the UW's lone scoring drive of the first half with a 23-yard run.

• Quarterback Cody Pickett set a Washington record for completions in a season early in the second quarter. Steve Pelluer set the previous mark with 213 in 1983. Pickett, however, was held to just 62 yards passing in the first quarter. He finished with 210.

Correspondent Todd Etschman contributed to this notebook.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising