Advertising

Saturday, November 9, 2002 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

High School Sports

DuBois passing lifts Cedarcrest to victory over Valley Cup rival

Special to The Seattle Times

DUVALL — Manin DuBois won't be going to the playoffs this year, but he topped off a great senior season with an outstanding game in the Valley Cup last night.

DuBois threw a 23-yard touchdown pass to Russell McGinnis with 3:50 left in the game to give Cedarcrest a 19-14 victory over rival Mount Si.

DuBois, who transferred from Meadowdale, completed 13 of 21 passes for 230 yards and three touchdowns. He passed for 2,038 yards this season to set a school record.

"I couldn't have asked for a better senior season," DuBois said.

Mount Si (1-8) scored a touchdown on a 12-yard run to put the Wildcats ahead 14-13 with just 7:03 left in the game, but the Red Wolves (4-5) didn't get discouraged.

"I told the guys, 'Don't get down, we're going to come right back down that field and score,' " DuBois said.

Cedarcrest did just that, and the biggest play during the drive wasn't the touchdown pass. On fourth-and-one at midfield, Cedarcrest Coach Eric Hanson called for a pass. DuBois found McGinnis on a slant pattern that was good for 25 yards to keep the drive going.

"We figured that would be there," Hanson said. "We knew it was do or die. We had to get that first down and I thought that (passing) was our best opportunity."

Mount Si quarterback Alex Smart matched DuBois with an impressive performance. He completed 16 of 34 for 215 yards and a touchdown.

His favorite target was Tyler Austin, who caught eight passes for 156 yards.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising