Old school Where are they now? Michael Cage

The idea is unbelievable to his 7-year-old daughter: a time when there weren't juice bars and organic fruit stands on street corners?

That was what Michael Cage faced as an NBA oddity in the 1980s. While most players were into fast food and room service, he traveled with a bucket of fruit and a juicer. Folks had a field day with this concept that soon would become a part of American culture.

"They thought I was crazy," said Cage, who played for the Sonics from 1988 to 1994 and was dubbed "The Juiceman."

"The idea of looking at me, this 6-foot-9 guy from the 'hood with a Jheri curl and a juicer in his hand ... they didn't know what to make of me. I was the butt end of a lot of jokes until they realized this was working for this guy. Then I started stressing to the team that what you eat is what you produce on the court."

Cage, who played for five teams during his 15-year NBA career, played in 736 consecutive games, the fourth-longest streak in the league when it ended.

Cage turns 41 on Jan. 28 and says he's in better health than when he played.

"People see me and say, 'Wow, you should sign a 10-day contract with the Lakers,' since they were doing so poorly," said Cage, who lives in Newport Beach, Calif., with his wife of eight years and three children.