Oysters in Saffron Cream
- 24 large oysters
- 1½ cups dry Champagne or sparkling wine
- About 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1½ cups whipping cream6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- About ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
-Optional: 1 to 2 ounces sevruga caviar
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Shuck the oysters. Place the 24 shell bottoms on a pan lined with parchment paper and place in the oven to warm.
3. Bring the Champagne to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the saffron and reduce by a third. Add the cream and reduce until quite thick. Turn off the heat and add the oysters. Shake in the pan and let stand about 3 to 5 minutes. Place the oysters in the heated shells. Return the sauce to the heat. Reduce until thick. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the butter, piece by piece. When all the butter is incorporated, taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Divide the oysters among 6 plates. Spoon the sauce over the oysters. Top each with a little of the caviar, if using. Serve immediately.
Data per serving
Saturated fat 21.93g
Monounsaturated fat 10.12g
Polyunsaturated fat 1.94g
From "The New Alaska Cookbook: Recipes from the Last Frontier's Best Chefs" by Kim Severson with Glenn Denkler.