Advertising

Thursday, February 27, 2003 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

High School Sports

Northwest 3A District boys roundup: Late layup sends Meadowdale to state

Special to The Seattle Times

Northwest 3A District basketball tournament

Last night's boys results

Meadowdale 62, Bellingham 61 (winner to state)

Sehome 65, Sedro-Woolley 60, OT (loser out)

Saturday's boys schedule

At Mount Vernon High School

Sehome vs. Bellingham, 8 p.m. (winner to state, loser out)

Tonight's girls schedule

At Mount Vernon H.S.

Shorecrest vs. Bellingham, 6:30 p.m. (loser out)

Meadowdale vs. Sehome, 8 p.m. (winner to state)

Saturday's schedule

At Mount Vernon H.S.

Shorecrest-Bellingham winner vs. Meadowdale-Sehome loser, 6:30 p.m. (winner to state, loser out)

LYNDEN — It was the biggest shot of the biggest game of his life, and it made history for the Meadowdale boys basketball team. The Mavericks knocked off Bellingham in the Northwest 3A District championship game last night, 62-61, with a layin by Tyler Milam with just five seconds left in the contest.

Milam, who had a career-high 27 points and seven rebounds, received the pass off a high-post cut.

"That is our bread and butter play," Milam said. "It has been working all season, and I just made the shot. This is the greatest memory of my life."

There were 10 lead changes in the fourth quarter, but a Red Raiders' three-pointer with 29 seconds remaining gave Bellingham a 61-60 lead.

After a Meadowdale timeout with 20 seconds left, Jake Linton found Milam on the cut for the win. Bellingham's final shot missed off back iron.

The win sends Meadowdale to the 3A state tournament at the Tacoma Dome for the first time since 1978.

"This is just an awesome feeling," Milam said, clutching the championship trophy. Meadowdale Coach Chad McGuire, who was 6 the last time the Mavericks went to the state tourney, said going inside to Milam worked all game.

"We talked about how we needed to go inside-out, and they kept finishing," he said. "People stepped up and made plays all night."

Milam, who scored 11 in the fourth quarter, said his teammate kept giving him the ball, and he kept hitting his shots.

"I felt like I wouldn't be stopped," he said. "I kept going."

Meadowdale ran an up-tempo game early, and took a 16-9 lead in the first quarter after an 11-3 run. Bellingham responded and took a three-point lead at halftime.

The teams traded leads much of the second half, and Bellingham held a four-point lead with 2:23 remaining. A Linton three-pointer ignited a six-point Mavericks run, giving them a two-point lead before Tim Sellereit's three-pointer gave Bellingham the lead with 29 seconds left.

Linton was the only other Meadowdale player in double figures, as he scored 12. Bellingham was led by Toby Seim's 22 points and five rebounds.

Bellingham plays crosstown rival Sehome on Saturday night in Mount Vernon in a winner-to-state contest.

Sehome 65, Sedro-Woolley 60, OT (loser out) — At Lynden, Josh Huntley of Sehome forced overtime by hitting a turn-around three-pointer as time ran out in regulation, and the Mariners went on to beat the Cubs in overtime.

Matt Walton started the overtime by scoring six of the first seven points, helping the Mariners on a 10-1 run.

The win sends Sehome (16-8) to a winner-to-state, loser-out game in Mount Vernon on Saturday against Bellingham.

Sedro-Woolley finished the season 12-12.

The Mariners were led by the 20 points and 12 rebounds of Blake Baxter. Walton tossed in 15 points. The Cubs were paced by the 18 points of Jarid Cook and the 15 points of Jon Baird.

With 49 seconds left in regulation, a Cook steal, basket and free throw put Sedro-Woolley up by one. Two Andy Crape free throws gave them a three-point lead with eight seconds left. Huntley's three came as time expired in the packed house.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising