Advertising

Wednesday, June 4, 2003 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Jean Godden / Times staff columnist

Ad brings physician back to life

"Patients are losing access to their doctors," stated an alarming ad that ran in the Spokane Spokesman-Review on Thursday. The ad urged patients to support medical-malpractice reform. Listed were some 600 doctors, medical professionals and clinics.

The Washington State Trial Lawyers Association (WSTL), which strongly opposes malpractice reform, did some opposition research and reported that 23 of the listed doctors had expired licenses; four doctors had no active license in Washington, and one doctor apparently had died 13 years ago.

Not easy to reach a deceased physician.

When Tom Curry, Washington Medical Association spokesman, was asked about the long-dead doctor, he, too, did some checking. He discovered that Dr. William F. Bradley is alive and well and practicing at Spokane's Rockwood Clinic. Curry quipped, "The trial bar has way too much time on its hands. But we'd rather have them doing (research) than filing frivolous lawsuits."

What does the WSTL say about its error? WSTL spokeswoman Sue Evans confirms, "It was another Dr. Bradley who died." The mix-up occurred, she says, because the practicing doctor lives in nearby Colbert, not Spokane.

E for effort: Former Metropolitan King County Councilwoman Maggie Fimia, formerly known as Maggi, has added an "e" to her first name. Fimia, who is running for the Shoreline City Council, made the change to honor her Irish grandmother, the late Mary Margaret ("Maggie") McGrath.

Fimia says, "When I was 16, I dropped the 'e' as surplus. But people kept adding an 'e.' Sometimes they called me 'MAJ-eye.' "

Fimia has been traveling annually to Ireland in search of family roots. She has found four sets of relatives and the cottage in Darragh, County Limerick, where her grandmother was born. "It looks like Seattle," said Fimia. "When I saw it, I said, 'This is home.' "

Cinema vérité: With the Seattle International Film Festival under way — the festival runs through June 15 — director Darryl Macdonald sat down at Café Campagne yesterday to "blue sky" about next year's festival.

Macdonald's lunch companions included Cherif Castel of the French Consulate in San Francisco, Sylvain France of the Seattle-based French-American Chamber of Commerce and Honorary Consul of France Jack Cowan.

The film buffs were kicking around a possible tribute to French filmmakers as part of next year's 30th anniversary festival.

Governor who? A recent poll taken by Bellevue-based Hebert Research asked respondents to rate potential gubernatorial candidates on a scale of 1-10.

Along with the usual suspects — Gov. Gary Locke, King County Executive Ron Sims and Attorney General Christine Gregoire — was one fresh name: lobbyist Martin "Jamie" Durkan, member of the politically savvy Durkan family. Don't know if it's a trial balloon or not.

Aptronym: The contact person for WashPIRG's wind-energy report, which is being released today, certainly has the right moniker for the job. Her name is Erin Blower.

Jean Godden: 206-464-8300

Copyright © 2003 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising