Advertising

Saturday, June 7, 2003 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

High School Sports

Notebook: Ex-Redmond star named basketball coach at Lindbergh

Seattle Times staff reporter

Barry Johnson, a former assistant coach at Chief Sealth who was a standout player at Redmond in 1991, has been named head boys basketball coach at Lindbergh High School.

"I'm ecstatic," Johnson said.

And so are Lindbergh administrators.

"I think he's going to be awesome," Lindbergh athletic director Linda Richter said. "I'm looking forward to working with him. He's the nicest guy."

Johnson was an assistant to Che Dawson for three seasons, leaving after the 2001-02 season to become sales and event manager for the Seattle Sonics. He said he will continue to work with the Sonics while coaching at Lindbergh, where he succeeds Ron Childress. Childress retired following seven seasons.

"Being under Che Dawson's wings for three years, I learned a lot," Johnson said. "It's time for me to build my own program."

Johnson, 29, was a sophomore on the Redmond team that captured a second straight state championship in 1989 and helped lead the Mustangs to a second-place finish as a senior in 1991, when they lost to Garfield in the championship game. He then played two seasons at Chemeketa Community College in Oregon and another two at Central Washington. In addition to coaching, he has been involved in a variety of youth basketball camps.

Johnson and his fiancé, Amy, will be married Sept. 27. He has a 6-year-old son, Avery.

Barrett to coach at Riverside

Adam Barrett can barely believe his fortune.

Becoming head girls basketball coach at Auburn Riverside High School is more than he expected at this stage in his young coaching career.

"For me, I have to admit it's a dream come true," said Barrett, 30. "I never thought at this early in my coaching career that I would be at a premier school. The school has such great facilities and the administration has been phenomenal."

Auburn Riverside principal Bruce Phillips believes Barrett could be a dream coach.

"He has winner written all over him," Phillips said. "He has the right combination of things to be successful in that he's a hard worker, he's very organized, he's got good people skills and he makes good decisions."

Barrett has been head girls coach at Grant Union High School in John Day, Ore., the past two seasons and guided this year's team to a seventh-place finish at the 2A state tournament. He was also head volleyball coach last season at Grant Union, which placed second at state.

Barrett previously spent five seasons as assistant basketball coach at La Grande High School in Ore., which was a Class 4A school at the time.

SPSL all-state nominees

Two players from state runner-up Federal Way are among the 11 players nominated by the South Puget Sound League's baseball coaches for the all-state series June 14-15 in East Wenatchee. The selections were based on regular-season performances as well as play in the SPSL senior all-star doubleheader on Thursday night.

Nominated from Federal Way were Brett Davis and Andre Piper-Jordan. Other SPSL nominees: Kevin Corrigan, Kentridge; Bryce Freed and Clay Hayden, Tahoma; Bryan Ruff and Darrin Taylor, Puyallup; Tyler Sandland, Auburn; Zach Shadle, Bethel; Ryan Smith, Enumclaw; and J.T. Zink, Curtis.

Suplin joins WesCo all-stars

Seth Suplin of Cedar Park Christian, runner-up in the Class 1A state baseball tournament last weekend, will be among the South Division all-stars today who will face the North Division in the WesCo senior all-star doubleheader at Husky Ballpark. The first game will start at 11 a.m.

The rosters:

WesCo South — John Cronin, Arturo Meza, Brett Sontra, Trevor Bigelow, Everett; Shaun Guinn, Mariner; Dustin Gilmore, Josh Waite, Steve Quealey, Ian Gac, Edmonds-Woodway; Zach Gretch, Ryan Strieby, Chris Aplin, Mountlake Terrace; Steve Griffith, Travis Safadago, Kyle Johnson, Marc Rollins, Paul Tomisser, Chris Gustafson, Kamiak; Derek Dupree, Brian Jackson, J.J. Berg, Shorecrest; Seth Suplin, Cedar Park Christian; Tyler Haggett, Josh Miller, Richard O'Neill, Meadowdale.

WesCo North — Aaron Gibbons, Ryan Johnson, Jake Prasser, Oak Harbor; Austin Akau, Devin Akau, Nic Benton, Marysville-Pilchuck; Ben Bourasaw, Eric Saksaug, Arlington; Erik Sundin, Sean Bacon, Lake Stevens; Tommy Leon, Nick Casillas, Chad Schroeder, Nick Rutter, Corey Sizemore, Travis Riley, Jimmy Ward, Cascade; Dan Tishner, Jake Schmitt, Stanwood; Zach Adam, Monroe; Stephen Sperry, Anthony Machado, Jason Archey, Willie Oliver, Daron Peugh, Snohomish.

Merkley, Webb, Brownell lead decathlon/heptathlon

Cassie Merkley of Cascade (Leavenworth), Sierra Webb of Stanwood and Brandon Brownell of Yelm are the first-day leaders at the Dennis McDonald Washington high-school decathlon/heptathlon championships at Lake Washington High School.

Merkley totaled 2,781 points to lead the girls heptathlon yesterday after four of seven events. Dana Allen of Interlake is second with 2,697 points.

Webb totaled 2,799 points for the lead after five events in the girls decathlon. Haley Amos of Highland is second at 2,536 and Christina Palmer of Stanwood is third at 2,535.

Brownell leads the boys decathlon after five events with 3,456 points. Pat Conrick of Cedarcrest is second at 3,175, followed by Ben Dillow of Cedar Park Christian at 3,005.

Day 1

Girls heptathlon - 1, Cassie Merkley, Cascade (Leavenworth), 2,781 points; 2, Dana Allen, Interlake, 2,697; 3, Baily Cox, Wilbur, 2,635; 4 (tie), Katie McGillen, South Whidbey, and Emily Mothershed, Battle Ground, 2,581; 6, Ambria Brantner, West Valley (Yakima), 2,426; 7, Nanda McCormick, Shorewood, 2,417; 8, Kimberly Pence, Stanwood, 2,337; 9, Kacie Fischer, Sehome, 2,335; 10, Kendra Monroe, Stanwood, 2,302; 11, Brittany Bekins, Cascade (Everett), 2,279; 12, Trisha Frame, Lake Washington, 2,195; 13, Molly Ann Glockner, Tahoma, 2,185; 14, Sharon Bjella, Everett, 2,181; 15, Brittney Casper, Connell, 2,028.

Girls decathlon - 1, Sierra Webb, Stanwood, 2,799; 2, Haley Amos, Highland, 2,536; 3, Christina Palmer, Stanwood, 2,535; 4, Kristi Metzger, Shelton, 2,455; 5, Lauryn Classen, Columbia River, 2,262; 6, Paris Malin, Lake Washington, 2,151; 7, Beth Porterfield, Bellevue, 2,100; 8, Molly Loesche, Everett, 2,027; 9 (tie), Kellie Stoffel, Jefferson, and Katie Hutchison, Stanwood, 1,955; 11, Melanie Handelsman, Stanwood, 1,932; 12, Susan Sifferman, Cedar Park Christian, 1,797; 13, Stephanie Dost, Columbia River, 1,746; 14, Monica Glover, Tyee, 1,610.

Boys decathlon - 1, Brandon Brownell, Yelm, 3,456; 2, Pat Conrick, Cedarcrest, 3,175; 3, Ben Dillow, Cedar Park Christian, 3,005; 4, James Turner, Gig Harbor, 2,982; 5, Vince Kinney, Lynnwood, 2,923; 6, David Pichler, Yelm, 2,920; 7, Chris Chandler, Nathan Hale, 2,892; 8, Chris O'Brine, Naches, 2,861; 9, Scott Call, Peninsula, 2,806; 10, Tate Summers, Stanwood, 2,784; 11, Travis Glover, Tyee, 2,735; 12, Brad Ellis, Roosevelt, 2,682; 13, Chris Martinez, Yelm, 2,659; 14, Brett Geiger, Stanwood, 2,653; 15, Tim Carrithers, Lynnwood, 2,621.

Notes

• The Metro League's senior all-star baseball doubleheader, scheduled for today, has been canceled because of logistics problems. League coaches will nominate players for the all-state series based on regular-season performances.

Cameron Gilmore, central defender from Marysville-Pilchuck, has committed to play soccer next season at Linfield College in Oregon. She has played premier soccer for the Emerald City Football Club of Seattle and recreational and select for Marysville Youth Soccer.

• John Ruby has resigned as boys basketball coach at Foss High School in Tacoma after five seasons to spend more time with his family. He directed the Falcons to the 4A state championship in 2000.

Ruby formerly coached at Hazen from 1989-97.

• Tom Larsen, former Washington State guard, is the new football coach at Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma. Larsen, 46, who has been Bellarmine's line coach since 1995, replaces Mike Baldassin.

Kevin Meines, a Kentlake assistant the past two seasons, is the new girls basketball coach at Bellarmine Prep. He replaces Cari Harrison.

Copyright © 2003 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising