Meatballs in Sicilian Tomato Sauce
Makes 30 meatballs, 8 to 10 servings - 3 pounds ground veal
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup freshly grated bread crumbs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup grated (powdered) Parmesan cheese
- Sicilian Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with pan spray and set aside.
2. Combine veal, shallots, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, bread crumbs, milk and Parmesan in a large bowl and, with clean hands, mix thoroughly. Scoop up ¼-cup size portions and shape into balls. Place meatballs, spaced apart, on baking sheet.
3. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned and cooked through (160 degrees in centers). Do not overcook.
4. Put meatballs into sauce and gently stir. Arrange on deep platter, scraping in all the sauce goodies. Sprinkle with basil leaves and cheese for garnish.
Note: Jody browns her meatballs in olive oil, but I've baked them here for ease of preparation.
© 2003 Kathy Casey Food Studios®
Copyright © 2003 The Seattle Times Company