Sicilian Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup golden raisins
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large, vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
1. In a small bowl, soak raisins in white wine for 10 minutes.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Add onion and pine nuts, and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and diced tomato, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in soaked raisins with any unabsorbed wine, and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
3. Add tomato sauce, bring to a simmer and cook gently, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, or until saucy. (If sauce gets too thick, add a touch of water.)
© 2003 Kathy Casey Food Studios®
Copyright © 2003 The Seattle Times Company