Advertising

Thursday, September 4, 2003 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Ex-officer wants voters to look beyond his past

Seattle Times staff reporter

John Manning

Residence: Rainier Beach
Education: High school

Political experience: Former Seattle City Council member, sergeant with the Seattle Police Department, business owner

It's been more than six years since John Manning resigned from the Seattle City Council amid domestic-violence charges.

He served a month in jail and two years' probation, went through counseling about his anger and remarried. He is upfront about his past.

"I'm a better man for what I've gone through," he said.

His ex-wife has forgiven him and supports his run for council, he said. Now he's asking voters to do the same.

An ex-Seattle police officer and political up-and-comer before he resigned from the council in December 1996, Manning said he couldn't stay away from public service.

"It is a passion (of mine) to serve and make a difference in the lives of people," he said.

He has been frustrated watching the current council, which he said is showing a lack of foresight and a passive attitude.

"They've dealt with a lot of trivial issues. ... It's apparent that the heavier issues have been avoided," he said.

Manning said Seattle needs to redefine public safety by investing in human services. Funding for community-service officers has been cut from the budget in the past couple of years, and Manning said he would support adding the money back.

Manning said he left a lot of things undone when he left the council six years ago. He's ready to pick up where he left off, he said.

"We all have a past," he said. "The biggest issue is ... is this going to determine who I am? I will not be defined by this situation because that's who I am."

Emily Heffter: 425-783-0624 or eheffter@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2003 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising