Recipe: Heavenly Flour-Bread Rolls
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
1. In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles very coarse cornmeal.
3. Add buttermilk to yeast mixture, stir briefly, and add to flour mixture. Stir until mixture is just moistened. The dough, which will be very soft, may be covered and refrigerated overnight at this point.
4. Lightly grease muffin tins. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator and let rise an hour or so. Then punch down and knead it briefly, about 2 minutes, on a lightly floured surface. Pinch off quarter-sized pieces, roll them into rounds between the palms of your hands and put 3 small balls into each muffin tin. Let rise for 30 minutes and bake in a preheated 400-degree oven about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
Adapted from "Dori Sanders' Country Cooking" by Dori Sanders.
Copyright © 2003 The Seattle Times Company