Print Print this article
Print Search archive
Most e-mailed articles Most e-mailed articles
Related stories
Prep baseball and softball all-star game rosters
KingCo 4A softball all-stars, All-Metro team
KingCo 4A boys soccer all-stars
Nisqually league baseball all-stars

Mike Cooney has resigned as girls basketball coach at Woodinville High, leaving a post he has held for the past four years.

Cooney, a business manager at a food-brokerage business in Bellevue, said his decision was based solely on "career-related issues," but declined to elaborate.

"I've had nothing but great support," said Cooney of his relationships with parents and school officials. "I really respect our administration, our principal and our athletic director."

The Falcons compiled a 30-52 overall record under Cooney, including a 16-40 mark in the tough KingCo 4A Conference. They finished 7-14 overall last season. Cooney said better days are coming.

"We have nine returning letter winners, we have great kids coming in — just phenomenal kids that came up through our feeder program," Cooney said. "The future is extremely good and bright for Woodinville."

Cooney said the team went 7-3 in the recently completed Eastside Spring League, marking the first time the Falcons had finished over .500 at any time in the past four years.

"I think next year will be a breakthrough year for Woodinville," Cooney said. "I just love everything about it (coaching), except that my future won't make it possible to be sitting in the chair."

Woodinville hasn't had a winning season since 1992-93, when it went 24-5 and advanced to the state tournament.

Shorewood hires two coaches

Shorewood High School in Shoreline has made two coaching hires, recently promoting Jeff Bernhardt (girls basketball) and hiring Kalei Barbour (volleyball) for next season, athletic director Rich Gustafson confirmed last night.

Bernhardt replaces Brandon Glasser in girls basketball. Glasser, the head coach for two seasons, resigned after a 2-18 season citing "lack of support from the majority of players and parents in the program."

Bernhardt knows that program well, having moved from freshman coach (one season), to junior varsity coach (one season) to head coach (next season).

"To me, success is measured in girls having fun, coming out with a positive experience," Gustafson said. "We felt comfortable with Jeff. He had good success with not a lot of talent at both (other levels)."

Barbour, a Hawaii native, replaces Andy Robertson, the T-birds' volleyball coach for seven years. Barbour played college volleyball at Gonzaga, Gustafson said, before settling down to raise a family.

"Now, she wants to get back into the coaching arena," Gustafson said. "We're happy to have her."

The rest of the Shorewood head coaches are coming back, Gustafson said, although he's looking for some assistant basketball coaches.

Bellevue coach fired

Dan Desmond is out after six seasons as baseball coach at Bellevue High, a move brought about apparently by pressure from parents.

"They called me in last week and said they were going in a different direction," said Desmond of a meeting he had last week with school officials. "I guess parents complained. That's about all I know."

Desmond guided the Wolverines to the playoffs in each of the past three years. The team finished 12-10 overall this spring, including a 10-8 mark in the KingCo 3A Conference — home to four of the past five Class 3A state champions.

"I didn't see it coming at all," Desmond said. "I just walked in there and I'm done."

Bellevue athletic director Chris Hoffman could not be reached.

Desmond, a physical education teacher at Bellevue, played at Issaquah High and Pacific Lutheran University. He said he plans on joining the staff of the defending state champion Eagles next spring.

Softball all-stars gather Friday

Pitchers Megan Schuler of Inglemoor and Caitlin Noble of Eastlake, who led their teams to the championship game of the Class 4A state softball tournament, are among the all-stars scheduled to compete in the Senior All-Star Challenge Friday at Fort Dent in Tukwila.

Nine leagues encompassing more than 120 teams are expected to participate in the event, which features four all-star teams squaring off in four games. Schuler and Noble will be teammates on the team involving players from KingCo 4A, KingCo 3A and Metro. WesCo North and South player are combined with representatives from the Northwest League, while the representatives from the South Puget Sound League North and South are teaming with players from the Seamount King Division. The fourth team is comprised of players from the Narrows Bay and Bridge divisions as well as the Pac-9.

Each team will play two games. A blind draw will determine pairings for the first games, which are scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. The losers will play immediately following the first games. The winners of the opening games will square off approximately 30 to 45 minutes after the start of the third game.

Admission is $6 for adults and high-school students without ASB cards, and $4 for students with ASB cards.

Notes

• The best senior baseball players in KingCo will gather tomorrow at Bannerwood Park for the annual feeder games pitting the 4A all-stars against the 3A all-stars.

The first game starts at 4 p.m., with the nightcap to follow at 6:30 p.m.

Ten players from the KingCo games will be nominated for the all-state series June 12-13 at Eastmont High School in East Wenatchee. Players from the all-state games will be selected to play in the Washington-Oregon-Idaho series to be played June 19 in Vancouver.

• The WesCo 4A/3A senior all-star baseball games will be played tomorrow at Everett Memorial Stadium. There will be two eight-inning games, starting at 4 p.m.

The two teams will be comprised of seniors from the WesCo North and South divisions. There is no charge for admission to the games. Players will be nominated from these games to play in the all-state series.

Matt Peterson, Greg Bishop and Sandy Ringer contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2004 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising