Advertising

Saturday, September 3, 2005 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Hastert says he doesn't want city to be bulldozed

The Washington Post

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Dennis Hastert began his day yesterday explaining that he really does not want to see New Orleans bulldozed, and he ended it defending his absence from the Capitol when Congress approved a $10.5 billion hurricane-aid package.

In between, a former president hinted he would like to throttle the Illinois Republican.

Hastert still was reeling from reaction to his comments earlier this week about the storm-ravaged city. "It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed," he said in an interview with the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill.

Hastert later issued a statement saying he was not "advocating that the city be abandoned or relocated." But Louisiana Democrats were incensed. Gov. Kathleen Blanco demanded an apology. "To kick us when we're down and destroy hope, when hope is the only thing we have left," she said, "is absolutely unthinkable for a leader in his position."

In Syracuse, N.Y., President Clinton was discussing New Orleans' dilemma when someone described the comments. Had they been in the same place when the remarks were made, Clinton said, "I'm afraid I would have assaulted him."

Hastert again tried to smooth things over. Shortly after a small number of House members unanimously approved the $10.5 billion relief plan at about 1 p.m., he issued a statement saying, "Our prayers and sympathies continue to be with the victims of Hurricane Katrina. In times like these, it is more important than ever for Americans to stand united in helping our fellow citizens."

But there was one problem: Hastert was not in Washington, D.C. He was in Indiana attending a colleague's fund-raiser, staff members said, and he later attended an antique-car auction. By 4 p.m., Hastert had reached the Capitol, eager to explain his tardiness.

"Yes, I went to a charity auction," Hastert said. "I took one of my cars and sold it for tens of thousands of dollars. And that money will go to hurricane-relief efforts."

Washington Post reporter Dan Balz contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising