Advertising

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

People in Sports: Ohno to host Seattle reception

Olympic gold medalist Apolo Ohno, and his father, Yuki Ohno, will host a Seattle reception June 4, with proceeds to Nikkei Concerns, a Seattle-based organization that provides elder care primarily for Japanese-Americans and Asian Pacific Americans.

It will be Ohno's first visit to his hometown of Seattle since his gold- and bronze-medal performances in short track speed skating at the Turin Winter Olympics in February.

Ohno served as the honorary chair for the Nikkei Concerns' 30th anniversary auction last October that was attended by more than 900 guests and raised nearly $400,000.

Ohno's respect for the elderly grew from his close relationship with his grandparents in Japan.

"I've always had a wonderful and rich relationship with my grandparents" Ohno said. "Like my father, Yuki, they always supported me in mind and spirit. Respect for the elderly is in my blood, which is why I loved my Ji-chan [grandfather] and love my O-bachan [grandmother] so much."

The event will be from 5 to 7 p.m. at Carnegie's Restaurant, 2026 NW Market St. The reception is $150 per person for adults; $75 for children under 18. For reservations, contact Darcia Tanabe at 206-726-6550 or e-mail at darciat@nikkeiconcerns.org.

Seattle Times staff

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising