Advertising

Thursday, August 3, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

M's Notes: Seattle shows interest in Reynolds

Seattle Times staff reporter

BALTIMORE — Harold Reynolds, the former Mariner recently fired by ESPN, could be back with the Seattle club at some point in the future.

The possibility arose when Randy Adamack, Mariners vice president for communications, got on the phone last week with Reynolds, whose dismissal has been clouded by speculation.

"I called Harold on a personal level," Adamack said. "I just wanted to see how he was doing."

In the course of the conversation, Reynolds' future came up. The veteran of 12 years in the big leagues, now 45 and married with a 6-month old daughter, said he had heard from various "broadcasting entities."

Adamack suggested that if Reynolds would be interested, he could add the Mariners to the list of companies with an interest in him.

"After he thinks through where he wants to go with his future, where he wants to live and that sort of thing," Adamack said. "Maybe he'd be interested in coming back to the Northwest. We agreed we'd talk again."

Reynolds, who had been an analyst with ESPN's Baseball Tonight for 11 years, was fired after being accused of sexual harassment.

"This was a total misunderstanding," Reynolds told the New York Post. "My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted."

However, there was also talk that Reynolds' dismissal stemmed from some contentious differences in production meetings with ESPN's critical stance on Alex Rodriguez's recent spate of problems on the field.

Adamack said that we have to see "where Harold fits in with our broadcast team."

The Mariners, in addition to play-by-play announcers Dave Niehaus and Rick Rizzs, have color analysts Dave Henderson, Dave Valle and Ron Fairly. The analysts are believed to be on year-to-year contracts.

Beltre: young players

must use caution

When Major League Baseball announced its most recent list of suspensions for violating the banned substances rule, six of seven minor-leaguers suspended were Latin players.

"A lot of guys who get suspended are young Latin players, this time and other times, you have to notice that," Adrian Beltre said. "If they knew the rules and still broke them, they're stupid."

But, added the third baseman, who is regarded a leader among Seattle's many Latin players, "in a lot of Latin countries, they don't specify on the labels everything that goes into vitamins or protein supplements players might use. Young guys should be more careful, but they're young and make mistakes."

Soriano could play Friday

If Rafael Soriano is pronounced fit to come off the disabled list on schedule Friday, then he will be activated without pause. "He was just about ready when we put him on the DL," manager Mike Hargrove said. "So you don't have to apply your normal hesitation when a guy is coming back from an injury. When he's ready we'll move."

Hargrove said that Soriano will resume his setup role, that Mark Lowe's emergence and excellence have not changed that.

"We'll actually have both of them in the setup role, much like we had Soriano and Putz at the start of the season. One can work one day, the other the next day. Has Lowe replaced Soriano, no, not at all."

Soriano threw about 40 pitches in the bullpen session and reported no troubles.

Notes

Jarrod Washburn declared Wednesday, with 102 degrees at game time and humidity to match, "as a day you know the baseball gods are good to you."

"We have the 20-year-old kid [Felix Hernandez] going out to pitch, strong as a horse," said the left-hander. "And I get to chart from the clubhouse, where it is cold from the air conditioning."

Ichiro's single in the ninth broke an 0-for-15 stretch over four games. He was only 4 for 24 on this trip. He has been robbed of several hits, including in the seventh Wednesday when Orioles third baseman Melvin Mora dove to his left to take his line drive.

Willie Bloomquist, who led off that inning with a walk, was almost doubled off. Then he stole second on a pitchout when catcher Ramon Hernandez's throw sailed high and into center field.

Corey Patterson's triple in the fourth was the first Hernandez has allowed in the big leagues.

• The 2-0 shutout Tuesday was the 12th of the season for Seattle, three shy of the team mark of 15 set in 1978, 1983 and 1990, and the most since 14 in 1992. Jamie Moyer has been the starter in six of this year's shutouts, and his 3.59 run support per game is lowest in the American League.

Bob Finnigan: 206-464-8276 or bfinnigan@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising