Left blind, attack victim faces "a long way to go"

Maritza Dowe said she took a job as a social-services clerk in April because she likes helping people. But an on-the-job attack has left her in need of help.

"My life's changed completely," Dowe said during a news conference Thursday at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center. "I have a long way to go."

Dowe was joined at the conference by family members who condemned her alleged attacker and called for increased security at health clinics and other public buildings.

"We need to make changes in this society so things like this don't happen again," said Frances Hernandez, Dowe's daughter. "We need to look at security issues."

Dowe said her attack came as a complete surprise.

According to charging papers, Marilyn Walker, 44, entered the Public Health — Seattle & King County clinic on Fourth Avenue around 8:15 a.m. July 17 for a dental appointment.

After filling out a form, she approached Dowe's desk, spun her chair around and stabbed Dowe repeatedly in the chest, abdomen, face and eyes. Dowe said she remembers Walker pulling a long butcher knife out of a bag she was carrying and then stabbing her 16 to 20 times.

The attack left Dowe blind in one eye and with limited vision in the other eye immediately following the attack. Now, after three weeks of surgeries and recovery, Dowe has lost sight in both eyes.

The wounds to her chest and abdomen are still healing. Rough scars jut from the corners of her eyes.

Her recovery has been long and tedious, but she's now apprehensive about going home. Doctors released Dowe late Thursday afternoon after she met with representatives from Community Services for the Blind, which is helping her rearrange her home and adjust her life now that her sight is gone.

"I'm afraid to go to my house because I don't know where anything is," Dowe said.

Although she is focused on her recovery — both physically and emotionally — Dowe said she is also trying to grasp why a woman she didn't know would single her out.

Court records show in 2001 Walker doused a tax preparer at H&R Block with gasoline and tried to set him ablaze. Charges were dropped in that case, and she was committed for two years at Western State Hospital.

Since the attack, Public Health employees have received security training. Walker remains in the King County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail, according to King County prosecutor spokesman Dan Donahoe. She will soon face trial for attempted first-degree murder.

Dowe is hopeful Walker will be convicted and kept off the streets, she said.

"Otherwise, she will hurt someone else again."

Nathan Hurst: 206-464-2112 or nhurst@seattletimes.com

Maritza Dowe's face shows the scars of the knife attack that left her blind in both eyes. (DEAN RUTZ / THE SEATTLE TIMES)