Advertising

Saturday, October 28, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Hawks' Locklear suspended one game

Seattle Times staff reporter

KIRKLAND — The Seahawks took another roster hit Friday, and this one wasn't even injury-related.

Starting right tackle Sean Locklear was suspended by the league, coach Mike Holmgren said after Friday's practice.

Locklear's suspension is for one game, Sunday at Kansas City, and is without pay. Locklear, 25, left team headquarters before practice ended for the day, as he cannot be on the premises while suspended.

He was suspended for violation of the NFL's personal-conduct policy, according to a statement from the NFL. The third-year pro is eligible to rejoin the team on Monday.

The suspension is a result of an incident in January. Locklear was arrested hours after a playoff game in downtown Seattle on a charge of assaulting his girlfriend at a night spot, and spent the rest of the holiday weekend in jail.

The case was resolved in July when Locklear agreed to perform two years of community service, obtain an evaluation and pay court fees.

Locklear had been listed as recently as Thursday as questionable to play Sunday with a left ankle injury, but Holmgren said the injury would not have kept him out of this week's game.

Locklear's absence means Tom Ashworth will play right tackle against the Chiefs. This will be Ashworth's first start of the season after arriving in the offseason from New England via free agency.

"He's had a good week of practice," Holmgren said. "He's excited about playing. That's why we brought him here, to do this."

Ashworth said he'll try to make the best of the opportunity. He was a starter in New England for several years, and has had to adjust to being a backup. But right tackle is where he is most comfortable.

"It's been a new team and learning a new system, and I'm trying to be part of it," he said. "It's been different."

Hamdan is back

Gibran Hamdan wheeled around to find a small group of reporters at his locker on Thursday.

"Oh, my God!" he said, sounding a little startled.

The feeling must have been similar to the one Hamdan had when the Seahawks signed him off the San Francisco 49ers' practice squad Tuesday, two months after the Seahawks released Hamdan in trimming their roster before the regular season.

Hamdan might only be in Seattle for a few weeks while starting quarterback Matt Hasselbeck (knee) is out. But he still chose to leave San Francisco, thanking the 49ers for giving him an opportunity.

"In some respects they had my best interests at heart," Hamdan said of the 49ers. "We all came to decide that this was the best decision for me to make. I think they understand how much I respect them as an organization and I hope they respect me. Obviously, the opportunity to come back here and serve an emergency role and help this team out is also a great opportunity for me."

Holmgren said Hamdan was signed over more experienced veterans because he had been part of the Seahawks' offensive system.

"I think you always start with the guys you know the best and who were with you," Holmgren said. "But considering everything, Gibran made the most sense to me because if he had to, he could step in and play. And he knows this is sort of a short window, but fortunately he said yes."

Notes

• Chris Spencer will start at left guard, but rookie Rob Sims will see action, Holmgren said. The two split snaps with the starting offense in practice this week.

• Holmgren expects TE Jerramy Stevens to start.

• LB D.D. Lewis did not practice and remains questionable for Sunday with a toe injury.

• WR Bobby Engram will have his thyroid tested again Monday. He worked out with the scout team Friday.

• DT Marcus Tubbs practiced Friday and should be able to play on a sore knee.

• OL Floyd Womack is expected to be part of the rotation next week in practice as he returns from a knee injury.

• The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced its preliminary list of nominees for 2007, and several former Seahawks are on the list. RB Ricky Watters spent four years (1998-2001) with the Seahawks as part of a 10-year career. S Kenny Easley was a Seahawk from 1981 to 1987 and is in the team's Ring of Honor. Tom Flores was the Seahawks' coach from 1992 to 1994. Chuck Knox, another Ring of Honor member, was Seattle's coach from 1983 to 1991.

José Miguel Romero: 206-464-2409 or jromero@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising