Advertising

Sunday, November 12, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

3A Girls Swimming | Hall completes 4-in-a-row feat

Special to The Seattle Times

FEDERAL WAY — Holy Names senior Lauren Hall dived deep into state girls swimming history with her efforts over the weekend.

By doing so, Hall joined a short list of elite swimmers.

Hall became just the eighth swimmer to capture the same event four years in a row in state's 37-year history, capping a four-peat in the 200 individual medley on Saturday in the Class 3A meet at the King County Aquatic Center.

Hall sped to near-six-second victory in an All-American time of 2 minutes, 2.87 seconds.

"When I was a freshman, I wasn't that fast and I really surprised myself, so once I got [the title] I wanted to hang onto it," said the UCLA-bound Hall, who also added a second-place trophy in the 100 backstroke. "I wasn't going to let anyone take it away."

Hall wasn't even aware that she was on the verge of such a feat.

"I definitely thought more [than eight people] did that," she said of the four-peat.

Without an individual or relay champion, Bellevue captured its fifth team title in the past six years and sixth in the past eight with 216 points. Bainbridge followed with 197 points, while Kennedy was third (189) and Mercer Island fourth (165.5).

Kennedy junior Brianne Lindblad, who has been fighting a bad back suffered in a June car accident, figured in four state titles.

Lindblad, at 5 feet, 2 inches, won the 100 backstroke — for the third year in a row — the 100 freestyle and swam legs on the winning 200-medley and 400-freestyle relays.

"If she'd taken time off, [her back] probably would've healed completely, but she kept doing what it takes to stay competitive," Kennedy coach Marc Stock said. "Her times lately hadn't been spectacular, but I knew the way she started [Friday in preliminaries] that she'd be tough.

"There's only a half-dozen top-notch swimmers in the state who are also tough, and she's one of them."

The Lancers' top swimmer won the 100 backstroke in 56.59, edging Hall (57.39), and prevailed in the 100 freestyle with a 52.62. Lindblad kicked off the 200 medley relay (1:49.90) and anchored the 400 free relay (3:35.50).

"It's just fun that something like [three in a row] can happen," said Lindblad, who has figured in seven individual and relay state titles in her career. "After the 100 free, my back was sore, but you just go out and race and have fun with it. That's the best you can do."

Notes

• Issaquah senior Jessie Snowden completed her second consecutive title run in diving, finishing with 465.15 points and a runaway victory over Bellevue sophomore Diana Wilcox (406.90).

Snowden set a state record with 473.30 points in winning last year's state title.

• Camas junior Lisa Tompkins moved into position to join the elite four-peat club in one event, taking the 100 breaststroke (1:05.37) for the third consecutive year.

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising