Advertising

Thursday, May 24, 2007 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Golf | Kamiak freshman bags girls championship

Special to The Seattle Times

BURLINGTON — Start strong. Finish stronger.

After shooting a five-under 67 Tuesday, Kamiak freshman Seo Hee Moon brought a five-stroke lead into the second day of the Class 4A state tournament at Avalon Golf Links and then birdied three of the last four holes Wednesday to run away with the championship.

"I feel so great right now," said Moon. "

Moon, 15, shot a two-under 70 Wednesday — including a 32 on the back nine — and beat teammate Karinn Dickson and defending champ Sadena Parks of Bethel by 12 strokes. Dickson and Parks tied with a two-day total of 149.

"She's very consistent and has plenty of experience under pressure," said Kamiak second-year coach Bud Davis. "I'm glad today was especially good for her."

It was good for the rest of the Kamiak squad too. The Knights from Mukilteo won their first team title with 174 points, a 4A record. Kamiak was so strong, the Knights beat second-place Redmond by 80 points.

"I'm proud of the girls," said Davis. "I'm proud of the hard work and time they put in. It's all about them."

Moon shot a two-over 38 on the front nine Wednesday, allowing others to gain a few strokes on her. But she kept her composure and on the back nine focused only her own play.

"I was still kind of nervous," said Moon. "But then, I was just, 'If I keep doing what I've been doing so far, I'll be OK.' I wasn't really paying attention to all the other girls."

Though just a freshman, Moon has already tried out for LPGA tournaments. If she's competing at the high-school level next season, the word "repeat" will surely be tossed around.

"Maybe next year I can win again," she said.

Bothell's Darcie Richmond finished fifth with a two-day total of 151 strokes.

Kentridge's Lauren Sewell and Eastlake's Alex Taylor tied for seventh with 155 strokes.

Redmond placed second with 94 points.

Class 4A boys

Kamiak has matching trophies because the Knight boys did what the school's girls did — win the 4A team title. Eastlake sophomore Kevin Penner shot a 3-under 69 at Shuksan to finish at 7-under 137 for the individual title.

Class 3A

Issaquah junior Brittany Tallman, the 2005 state champion, shot a 2-under 70 at Sudden Valley to win the girls title by nine strokes. Interlake edged Enumclaw for the team title. According to the WIAA Web site, it is Interlake's first state championship in any sport since the 1980s.

Alex Moore of Hanford won a three-way boys playoff on the second hole against Jens Bracht of Shorecrest and Matt Rawitzer of Squalicum at Homestead Farms Golf Resort. Bracht drained a 15-foot eagle putt on 18 to tie for the lead. Hanford edged O'Dea for the team title.

Class 2A

Bellingham won its sixth straight girls title (five in 3A) as teammates Katie Sharpe and Claire Rachor finished one-two at Semiahmoo.

Gaston De La Torre shot a 1-under 71 to finish with 141 for boys medalist honors and lead Hockinson, a suburban Vancouver school, to the title at Bellingham Country Club.

Class 2B/1B

Andrew Putnam of Life Christian of Tacoma shot a second straight two-under 70 at Lake Padden GC to win his third state boys title and lead his team to victory.

Sydney Conway of Bear Creek School in Redmond won the girls individual title at Lake Padden. Lopez won the team title.

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising