Night Watch

The solo-resistant artist behind the Statue

Seattle Times staff reporter

The week in local bands, briefly:

Throw me another exciting new band.

• Mud on the banks.

• Three aces at the Triple Door.

The week in local bands, at length:

• If bands like Magnetic Fields, Aqueduct and Peter Bjorn and John are high on your list, you'll want to get in on the ground floor of Throw Me the Statue. This is the kind of band that can go from opening act to headliner very fast, riding well-crafted pop songs with creative lyrics.

TMTS started out as Scott Reitherman's "bedroom project." After writing and recording by himself, he later added talented backup musicians — a la David Terry's Aqueduct.

Reitherman grew up in Half Moon Bay, a quaint coastal town between San Francisco and San Jose. He went East to attend Vassar College, then set his sights on Seattle, inspired by an Olympia lo-fi/experimental rock band.

"The Microphones were huge for me," Reitherman said the other night. "Moving out here was a sort of pilgrimage."

Even so, not long after he arrived in Seattle, he found himself moving away from the stripped-down, folk-

esque sound of the Microphones/Mt. Eerie's Phil Elvrum.

After a stint with a band called Flag Signs, Reitherman started writing pop songs on his own."I started recording solo," he said, surrounded by his bandmates in a Georgetown practice space, "but I never wanted to play solo."

Asked why, he scratched his beard thoughtfully and replied, "Fear of loneliness?"

Keyboard player Aaron Goldman, an old friend from California, joined Throw Me the Statue, followed by melodica/guitar player Will Cone (originally from rural Georgia) and drummer and Franklin High grad Jonas De Varona. The most recent addition to the band is Joe Syverson, raised in the Issaquah/Maple Valley area and formerly lead singer of the Terror Sheets, who agreed to play bass and sing backup.

Well, you have to ask: What's up with the weird band name?

Reitherman said he picked it when he was still solo, and decided naming a band after himself was too boring. "I thought it would be groovier to give it an abstract name."

He has had his current lineup together for just a few months, and the band is still learning the songs Reitherman recorded for a debut album.

"Moonbeams" is a scintillating indie pop album, with top-shelf songs like "Yucatan Gold" ("nobody knows nothin'/your friends keep it quiet/like a coffin") and the bouncy, odd "About to Walk" ("strange nights/locked inside... they were only there to break my toes"). John Richards, the KEXP DJ, helped get the ball rolling for Throw Me the Statue by playing the latter song — the day he received it.

Throw Me the Statue is yet another Seattle act on the way up, opening for Page France and Bishop Allen at the Crocodile (10 p.m. Saturday, $10).

Check them out at www.myspace.com/throwmethestatue or www.baskervillehill.com.

• It's almost hilarious, when you think about it: Mudhoney at Seafair. The once-underground punks ("Touch Me I'm Sick," a song that launched a million imitators) are headlining a new Seafair rock festival. While the main attraction remains the boat racers and screaming Navy jets, the grizzled grungers will shake up the festival at 8 p.m. Saturday at Genesee Park on Lake Washington.

Seafair's killer music schedule includes the Young Fresh Fellows, the Blakes, Chris Ballew's the Feelings Hijackers, the Purrs and the Hands. For a complete schedule: www.seafair.com.

Possible new slogan for Mark Arm's band: "The Blue Angels of rock."• The Triple Door, Seattle's most graceful music venue, pulls three aces this weekend, with a trio of on-the-rise local female singers.

Tiny Vipers — her friends know her as Jesy Fortino — sings from her new Sub Pop CD (8 tonight, $10). TV is a folk singer with unusual intensity. If you're looking for corny between-songs patter and ironic subject matter, you won't find it here. But if you're in the mood for an artist who verbally paints (and sings) with chilling honesty, this is the snake.

Vicci Martinez, a Tacoma native who has been performing since her teen years, brings her Brandi Carlile-like pop act (7:30 p.m. Saturday, $18).

And Choklate, a superior young soul singer, does a concert/DVD taping (two shows, 7 and 9 p.m. Sunday, $20). DJ Vitamin D and other guests will support Choklate's quest.

• Another sharp new band, the gritty-pretty guitars and voice of the Hungry Pines, plays the Mars Bar on Saturday; www.myspace.com/thehungrypines.

• Best budget show of the year: Portland heavy hitters Helio Sequence (brilliant psychedelic rock duo) and Lifesavas (high-end hip-hop) share the bill Monday night at Fremont's Nectar — a free show.

Tom Scanlon: tscanlon@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising